Brygooi!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Beautiful!

Those look like they might be able to be sexed. Male Pyxis arachnoides seem to drop their tails around 100-115 grams. Very small.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Very cute, but so little, how do you know you have 1.1?
The larger one is a male. His tail is massive, like 5 times the size of the smaller female. He was also advertised and sold to me as a male. The female may be smaller, but she is actually older. Her tail is far smaller than the boys which, to my knowledge, means she's female.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
How much does the female weigh? Perhaps she hasn't shown that she is a he yet. Chelonians become sexually mature according to size more than age.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Big ones definitely a boy. Hope the little ones a girl. Tough size. But looks femalish now.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Looks like 1.1 to me but I've been disappointed before when a "female" seemingly transformed overnight. Good luck with them...

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Looks like 1.1 to me but I've been disappointed before when a "female" seemingly transformed overnight. Good luck with them...
That's my one concern for the smaller one. My group is all at that similar size, where I am thinking female, but male tails have a tendency to drop out of nowhere. Fingers crossed.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
That's my one concern for the smaller one. My group is all at that similar size, where I am thinking female, but male tails have a tendency to drop out of nowhere. Fingers crossed.

having a 2.0 would be a heck of a downer.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
For what its worth, I would put money that the small one is a male as well. I've seen lots of Pyxis and that tail will grow. Give it another 1-1.5 inches of growth and that tail will get huge. I hope he proves me wrong!! I love being wrong when sexing Pyxis.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
For what its worth, I would put money that the small one is a male as well. I've seen lots of Pyxis and that tail will grow. Give it another 1-1.5 inches of growth and that tail will get huge. I hope he proves me wrong!! I love being wrong when sexing Pyxis.

How can you be certain? That tortoise is about 10 years old. You think at this age it's going to have a massive tail growth? Seems very unlikely but I guess you never know.