Both my Russians not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

testtudude

5 Year Member
Since I moved my two female Russians to their new habitat a week ago they have not eaten. They are both much more active and bask and move about all day and seem fine except for not eating. The temps are 100-85F in the hot dry end and about 75F down to 60F at night in the cool moist end. I am soaking once weekly. Feeding mixed weeds with tort food as a treat sometimes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do they have water available and easy to get to all the time? I would soak 2-3 times a week at least, unless they are adults. I would also try to give them a more varied diet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Moves can often affect eating habits. Don't stress out, keep offering food and see what happens.

testtudude

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Do they have water available and easy to get to all the time? I would soak 2-3 times a week at least, unless they are adults. I would also try to give them a more varied diet.

They do have a dish of fresh water to soak in at all times. And it's often dirty so I'm guessing they are using them. They are between 4-6 years old so I wasn't soaking as often. Should I soak more being adults?

dmmj said:
Moves can often affect eating habits. Don't stress out, keep offering food and see what happens.

Thanks. I will keep offering but I hate throwing away greens daily. I forage for them weekly and pick a tortoises dream salad of Dandelions, plantains, clover, violets, day flower, dead nettle and all sorts of other goodies. They used to love it :-(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No I wouldn't soak more. Less soakings as adults, more when babies. Feed a little less, to save on waist. If they eat it give them more. Ovens do stress them. Also if you moved them from outside to inside.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Laura said:
mine stopped eating a bit ago... he is under for the winter already..
I forgot light cycle can affect their eating habits, how long are their lights on for?
I would offer smaller amounts of food until they start eating again.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
dmmj said:
I forgot light cycle can affect their eating habits, how long are their lights on for?

I just went through this too. Mine wouldn't eat, but were active and one redecorated :) I brought their outdoor food rock inside with some other familiar items and then they started eating :) One pigged out and the other was like -- where's mine?? So keep offering the fresh greens. It will happen!

testtudude

5 Year Member
dmmj said:

The lights are on timers for 14 hrs per day.

Thanks for all the replies! They actually haven't been kept outside yet. I have just moved them to a much larger indoor enclosure. This is their first year with me and its getting too cold. They do have a area that I watch them while out and I will b starting there permanent outside enclosure for next summer

Status
Not open for further replies.