Baby tortois not eating yellow crusty bumps help !

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
It is a desert tortoise. Please find a wildlife rehabilitator that has experience working with desert tortoises and who knows a decent veterinarian that has experience working with them as well.

Kerby

It is a desert tortoise. Please find a wildlife rehabilitator that has experience working with desert tortoises and who knows a decent veterinarian that has experience working with them as well.
You mean the giant kind ??? The big ones ?? Or the 10 inch type ???

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Your tortoise appears to be very swollen still (unless those are older photos) and the bumps are not normal, I am keeping my fingers crossed for your little guy and I hope you get him to a vet ASAP!

Kerby

You mean the giant kind ??? The big ones ?? Or the 10 inch type ???
Do you mean the giant variety ?? Or the 10 inch type ??? I'm having trouble finding a vet for a California one and he needs help asap . I left a message with wildlife but there must be someone who knows how to care for them ??

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I can't see the yellow spots in your photos, but I do see a very sick looking desert tortoise (Gopherus sp.). Hopefully you can get in touch with your local wild life rehab centre and turn the baby over asap.

Keep him warm, day and night until then. Temperatures no colder than 80F. Soak in warm water, with some carrot baby food mixed in the water, for at least 30 minutes a day.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I can't see the yellow spots in your photos, but I do see a very sick looking desert tortoise (Gopherus sp.). Hopefully you can get in touch with your local wild life rehab centre and turn the baby over asap.

Keep him warm, day and night until then. Temperatures no colder than 80F. Soak in warm water, with some carrot baby food mixed in the water, for at least 30 minutes a day.
I second what Sarah said. Give him nice warm/himid/dark place to hide and nice warm soaks until you find rescue/rehab place for him. And to answer your question : no, he doesn't look like a baby of the big giant tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a desert tortoise, like Baoh said, and not a sulcata.

Make up a lightly salted solution and soak the tortoise in it for about a half hour a day. He needs to see a vet.