***Best Ways For Vitamin Intake***

Ninja_daSulc.

Location (City and/or State)
San Bernardino, CA
Hello. Im some what new to the tortoise life. Bought my son a baby sulcata just about 2 yrs ago and just fed him natural food such as kale, carrots, roman etc. im looking to take it up a notch and blast him with powder nutrients. Any suggestions or recommendations would greatly appreciate it ??

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

There are no such things as "power" nutrients. Supplements are meant to only stop-gap poor dietary practices, or support metabolic disorders (so a diagnosed problem with digestion, absorption, distribution of nutrients inside the body).

Captive animals fare best on species-appropriate, varied, balanced whole-food diets. See this excellent care sheet for Sully details:

If you have follow-up questions, please post them to this thread so everyone can follow along.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Supplemental Calcium and minerals can help replace minerals not provided in the diet.
Correct UVB lighting can turn calcium into D3.
D3 in one form or another is required for healthy bone growth, etc.
Carrots should not be fed to a Sulcata.
Sulcata can not process sugars.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Really good advise thank you. would it be better to put the calcium/minerals in his water or just mix it with the food?

I use 3 supplements. Calcium powder, a multivitamin powder, and a mineral supplement.

He gets calcium on Tues and Sat. On Tues, along with the calcium he gets a tiny pinch of vitamins. On Fri, he gets a tiny pinch of minerals with the calcium.

I always pinch the powder into the food. I've never tried drops in water.