Best temperature for my Russian tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanut

5 Year Member
Hi guys

I'm wanting to provide the best possible conditions for my little tort so I'm just wondering what the best temperatures are for underneath his basking area and around his enclosure

Thanks

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You need a range of temperatures. 32 c is a little cool for the basking spot. I usually deal in F; therefore I'll give the range in F and let you translate.

Basking spot 95 degrees F.

Cool side 75 degrees F or cooler down to 65 F.

Night temperature can drop to about 55; but 65 is probably better at night.

Your warm area for daytime should be close to 80 degrees. My Russians seem to enjoy resting at the edge of the range of the basking light after they have warmed up for the day. I'm thinking this is their easiest way to maintain ideal temperature for their afternoon nap. :)

Have a planter base with water so they can dring of cool off by wading thru it.

Good luck. Having this range of temps will allow your tort to choose his ideal temperature for comfort and digestion.

Use a temperature gun for easy checking of your temps.

peanut

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info,especially willtortoise that has helped a lot. Ill put all the advice into practice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Merlin M said:
I have found by experimenting with temps that mine are less active above 32°C

You don't make the whole enclosure that warm, just the area directly under the bulb, so they have the option to bask and warm up, and then move away from the heat source to a cooler area of the enclosure.

peanut said:
Hi guys

I'm wanting to provide the best possible conditions for my little tort so I'm just wondering what the best temperatures are for underneath his basking area and around his enclosure

Thanks

Russians are very adaptable and will thrive under a variety of care and temperature routines.

I make a basking spot of about 100 on one end of the enclosure and then the temperature just fades to whatever room temp is on the far side. My basking lamps are on timers and the night temps just drop to whatever room temp is over night. So easy. So simple.

carliedash

5 Year Member
Where to buy a temperature gun? How much should I expect to pay for a decent one?

carliedash

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377103936.164127.jpgWaiting on this in the mail now!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1377103922.330903.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1377103922.330903.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.