Russian tortoise outdoor encolsure - UK Soil..

Ellie:)

Location (City and/or State)
Tyne and Wear
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me, I live in the UK and I'm building an outdoor enclosure for my Russian.

I am thinking about using coco coir for the majority of the substrate in there but having tried and failed to grow weeds in this before I am wanting some top soil in some areas to ensure the weeds will grow in the enclosure.

I'm wondering if anyone in the UK can suggest a good soil to buy that you may use in your enclosures as I don't want to get the wrong thing for him!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Ellie

Even with topsoil plants don't grow successfully in an indoor enclosure. It's because of the heat and the lighting as well as their ability to root properly.

The trick is to grow them in pots or seed trays and sink the pot into the enclosure substrate.

If you leave the lip of the pot standing above the substrate, it reduces the chances of your tort stomping on the plant.

Grow more plants in pots and trays on your windowsill and you can easily swap them with ones in the enclosure that are past their best.

You can then return plants to your windowsill for some recovery time and hopefully reuse them.

Ellie:)

Tyne and Wear
Hi Ellie

Even with topsoil plants don't grow successfully in an indoor enclosure. It's because of the heat and the lighting as well as their ability to root properly.

The trick is to grow them in pots or seed trays and sink the pot into the enclosure substrate.

If you leave the lip of the pot standing above the substrate, it reduces the chances of your tort stomping on the plant.

Grow more plants in pots and trays on your windowsill and you can easily swap them with ones in the enclosure that are past their best.

You can then return plants to your windowsill for some recovery time and hopefully reuse them.

Brilliant, thank you for your help:)