Behler chelonian center

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Has anyone had any luck getting in to the behler chelonian center. If so how did you get in the gate? I am determined to get in. Whether I have to pay or call everyone I know. I'm getting in!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Has anyone had any luck getting in to the behler chelonian center. If so how did you get in the gate? I am determined to get in. Whether I have to pay or call everyone I know. I'm getting in!
Hah good luck. You have to know people that work there to get in. It's quite a collection they have. I have not been but have been invited numerous times. Just haven't had the time to venture out that way yet. They're very welcoming but secluded for a reason. They have quite the collection and many many species. You could simply try to email them and see what sort of response you get.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You could volunteer, but they wouldn't necessarily accept you... you probably still need to know someone :(

paver1960

5 Year Member
Northern Ohio
They are certainly a well meaning and good intentioned organization. I joined the Conservancy earlier this year and they sent me a back issue (#2) of the Tortoise. That's the last I've heard from them. Nothing in print or email. I thought they also put out a monthly newsletter?

Now that issue 3 of the Tortoise is out, I emailed them last week to see if I'll receive a copy (presumably members would). No response.

Have any other members had difficulty getting in touch with them?

Craig

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
You could volunteer, but they wouldn't necessarily accept you... you probably still need to know someone :(

You won't know until you ask, right ? ;) I know a few orgs that have fundraising divisions that recruit people all over the world.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
They are certainly a well meaning and good intentioned organization. I joined the Conservancy earlier this year and they sent me a back issue (#2) of the Tortoise. That's the last I've heard from them. Nothing in print or email. I thought they also put out a monthly newsletter?

Now that issue 3 of the Tortoise is out, I emailed them last week to see if I'll receive a copy (presumably members would). No response.

Craig
I was wondering the same thing about edition #3 as it's not clear from the announcement. They just mention joining which I've already done. Anyone know?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Craig

I exchange emails all the time with some of there keepers and collection manager. Takes a long time sometimes to get responses. Sometimes it's quick. But they sure are busy people for sure. This time of year too they have many offspring and eggs being laid. Also the stud book learning seminars and many more zoological seminars. They're definitely very busy.

paver1960

5 Year Member
Northern Ohio
Thanks Kelly. I'm a big turtle supporter and an advocate for conservation but is their membership advertising misleading?

• • A copy of our annual magazine The Tortoise.
  • • A subscription to our monthly newsletter.
  • • An invitation to travel with the TC on specific field trips and expeditions.

A copy of The Tortoise I received but that was it. I can understand being busy (who isn't) but it's quite unprofessional not to respond to email inquiries. Even an automated response "Sorry we're not available. We'll respond back to you as soon as possible" is better than silence. I'd be out of business in a heart beat if I didn't respond to my customers.

Craig