Baby Red Footed Passed Away

Torticia

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
We lost our baby red footed tortoise last night and we are absolutely devastated. If anyone has any input on things we can change if we ever decide to try again, it would be so greatly appreciated .

We got him from a highly rated reptile store at the end of February, the owner was out for the evening but the assistant estimated him at around 5 months old, although I always thought he seemed small for that age. His eyes and nose have always been clear. He seemed a little sleepier than usual the day before and hasn't had the biggest appetite for the last couple of days, and when we picked him up for his bath he was just... gone.

He was the first reptile my husband and I have ever owned. We absolutely adored him and his little personality. I thought we researched everything. I did want to get a better UVB light at some point, but I thought the setup was really good for him. Looking back there were things I wish I had been more concerned about- he rarely pooped in his bath and I don't think I ever saw pee, but the enclosure is so large and I was reading that baby tortoises sometimes eat their poop. He didn't seem to be growing at all. I monitored his weight for a while and it seemed to fluctuate within a few grams, but didn't trend upward by much. I wish so much that I had just taken him to a vet, just to be sure.

He got a warm water soak every single day, sometimes twice a day. There was one incident within the first month that he seemed listless and floppy, we gave him an extra long bath mixed with baby food and he perked right back up.

We tried to vary his diet every day. For greens we rotated romaine lettuce, collard greens, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. We also provided fruit most days, either in bites or mashed up on the greens; blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and mango. We gave banana, white cap mushrooms, and carrots as an occasional treat, and a hard boiled egg or a little tuna in water about once a month. He also got a sprinkle of calcium supplement on his greens at least once a week, and the enclosure has a cuttlebone, although he never seemed to nibble on it.

The enclosure is a 6.5'x3' book shelf lined with a tarp, with a litter box sunk in the middle for deeper burrowing. Half of it is topped in plexiglass, and the other half was screened until we realized within a couple of days how much humidity we were losing, and ever since that side has been covered with a tarp. That side also has a humid hide.

The substrate is cedar mulch, coconut coir, and sphagnum moss. We have two 60W ceramic heating elements for night time. During the day we have a 13W UVA/UVB 5.0 bulb going, and one or two 75W UVA heat lamps depending on the temperature. We keep the basking spot at 95, ambient around 80, and the cooler half at around 75.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read all of this, and in advance for any advice. We are stunned and heartbroken.

Attachments

• PXL_20240225_234348700.jpg
    PXL_20240225_234348700.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240514-093917.png
    Screenshot_20240514-093917.png
    874.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240514-093848.png
    Screenshot_20240514-093848.png
    462.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240514-094020.png
    Screenshot_20240514-094020.png
    354 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your loss
Cedar is poisonous to most animals but for sure tortoises
But from a breeder from this forum, not a pet store.
Fully enclosed enclosure with 80% humidity all over. Plants lots of them for security.
@ZEROPILOT can help with anything else I missed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, tube fluorescent for uvb, and do not use the clamps on those lights. They have been known to fail a lot and cause a fire, or kill a tortoise. Also they need to hang straight not on an angle and I believe that's too many making a basking area too intense, specially for a RF that doesn't really bask.
Put a greenhouse like pictured over the enclosure to make it a closed chamber.
Screenshot_20240215-075015.png

Torticia

Michigan
So sorry for your loss
Cedar is poisonous to most animals but for sure tortoises
But from a breeder from this forum, not a pet store.
Fully enclosed enclosure with 80% humidity all over. Plants lots of them for security.
@ZEROPILOT can help with anything else I missed.
Thank you so much for your reply. I looked back at all my pictures, I could have sworn I was so careful. I mixed up cypress and cedar. I bought cedar. I can't believe I could possibly mess up so badly. I feel so horrible that I failed my baby. I appreciate the advice.

Torticia

Michigan
😢 I should have posted my enclosure here right away to be sure. Thank you. If we try again I'll make all of these changes and check with the forum before adopting.
Also, tube fluorescent for uvb, and do not use the clamps on those lights. They have been known to fail a lot and cause a fire, or kill a tortoise. Also they need to hang straight not on an angle and I believe that's too many making a basking area too intense, specially for a RF that doesn't really bask.
Put a greenhouse like pictured over the enclosure to make it a closed chamber.
View attachment 370634

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The best advice your going to get is this .... The TortoiseForum.org is the ONLY reliable place for accurate info. Pet Stores suck, Breeders suck and all others are just guessing. Of course unless it's one of the breeders here that is TRUSTWORTHY. I am so sorry you lost your little one but if that's what leads you to learn more, do better and bring another into your lives it was not for nothing. That little ones life was lost but it was what gave another a great life. It's never easy to lose your loved tort but if it is what spurs other torts to have a better life it was not in vain. I wish lots of reptiles for you and your husband, it sounds like you are great parents that just need a little more info.

Torticia

Michigan
The best advice your going to get is this .... The TortoiseForum.org is the ONLY reliable place for accurate info. Pet Stores suck, Breeders suck and all others are just guessing. Of course unless it's one of the breeders here that is TRUSTWORTHY. I am so sorry you lost your little one but if that's what leads you to learn more, do better and bring another into your lives it was not for nothing. That little ones life was lost but it was what gave another a great life. It's never easy to lose your loved tort but if it is what spurs other torts to have a better life it was not in vain. I wish lots of reptiles for you and your husband, it sounds like you are great parents that just need a little more info.
Thank you for the kind words ❤️ I really thought we would have him for 60 years. I hope I can have that with another some day.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am so sorry that has happened to you. But, it WASN'T your fault. He was sick from the breeder, and probably was kept too dry. When you are ready to try another tortoise you buy here from a breeder who is well known and experienced...

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I am so sorry for your loss. You aren't in the wrong here, it is all the false information that is being spread around that causes unnecessary deaths. Along with the other things mentioned, I would like to add that sphagnum moss can cause an impaction, leading to no poop/pee and eventually even death.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am so sorry for your loss. You aren't in the wrong here, it is all the false information that is being spread around that causes unnecessary deaths. Along with the other things mentioned, I would like to add that sphagnum moss can cause an impaction, leading to no poop/pee and eventually even death.
Moss is a BIGGIE! Because it holds humidity great and it works for other pets. Such as Dart frogs.
It's understandable that new keepers think it's suitable for tortoises. Especially if you've been on FACEBOOK.....
Stay away from FACEBOOK tortoise sites

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
95 is entirely too hot for a Redfoot and your uvb "bulb" is not the correct type. (To start)
Please post photos of everything you have and let us fix things for you if you want to try again.
And you should.
Everything gets simple once you know what to do and have the proper equipment