Baby Golden Greek dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I found a baby Golden Greek tortoise last week. I have given it a proper habitat and lighting per instructions from a pet store internet and suggestions from other tortoise owners. The tortoise has not eaten since I have had it (7 days). It is very light. It is smaller than the palm of my hand. It does soak and drink alot in his large accessible pool. I have put out fresh veggies, (greens dark greens dandilions the whole spectrum), every few hours along with a store bought tortoise food that is suppose to promote eating. I have been told by its weight that it wont last more than a day or two.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

DANIEL

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Welcome to the forum, can you tell us more about your habitat. What are your temperatures(warm,cool,basking,night). Are you using uv light? What's your humidity? If you can provide pics, thats usually very helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...I have given it a proper habitat and lighting per instructions from a pet store internet and suggestions from other tortoise owners. ...

I'm sorry, Daniel, but this really doesn't tell us anything. Pet stores and internet sources can and do give out totally incorrect care instructions.

Where is the baby? What substrate? What light? How hot is the floor of the habitat..under the light...on the opposite end from the light? Is there a waterer? Do you soak him? Are you sure of the type of tortoise? May we see a picture so WE can be sure?

So, in the meantime, untill we get these answers, place the baby in a bowl with high sides that he can't climb out of. Add enough warm water to come up to the middle of his sides (where he doesn't have to strain to keep his head out of the water). Stir in a half jar of Gerber strained carrots. If you don't want to use baby food, you can add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins instead. Leave the baby soaking in this mixture for a half hour. Do this every day for at least 3 days.

As for the food, until we're sure what kind of tortoise, we'll have to wait to help you with the food.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome, you have gotten some good advice so far, please follow. But most importantly please give is more info...

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Yes, we need more info about its habitat and temperature. Do you have a picture of the tortoise? A good idea is to try hand-feeding it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
a picture is almost a must ;)

i once knew someone who found a "russian tortoise" and wanted to keep it and care for it.....well..... it was a red eared slider. good thing for them and the turtle they got the proper ID.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's the reason I asked for a picture. Quite often people call my rescue with a tortoise that they found, only for me to identify it as a box turtle or some other kind of turtle/tortoise.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
Welcome to the forum, can you tell us more about your habitat. What are your temperatures(warm,cool,basking,night). Are you using uv light? What's your humidity? If you can provide pics, thats usually very helpful.

I attached a picture. temp 92 on hotside humidity 32 yes yes I have three lights Night uv and day. I will post a new thread with more info and pictures.

Attachments

• DSC02084.JPG
    DSC02084.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 63

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I found a baby Golden Greek tortoise last week. I have given it a proper habitat and lighting per instructions from a pet store internet and suggestions from other tortoise owners. The tortoise has not eaten since I have had it (7 days). It is very light. It is smaller than the palm of my hand. It does soak and drink alot in his large accessible pool. I have put out fresh veggies, (greens dark greens dandilions the whole spectrum), every few hours along with a store bought tortoise food that is suppose to promote eating. I have been told by its weight that it wont last more than a day or two.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

DANIEL

I added 6 pictures I hope they help identify Tank. I came up with Golden Greek.DSC02080.JPGDSC02087.JPGDSC02084.JPGDSC02077.JPGDSC02079.JPGDSC02083.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This lil guy looks to be about a month old. Your habitat looks good, but the humidity should be about 80+. Sometimes when a tortoise finds itself in a different environment, it may not eat right away. I think that Yvonne has given you some good advise. Do those warm water soaks with carrot baby food. It works wonders. Also, I would just check with a vet who has treated torts before so that he can check for worms, parasites, the like. Please keep us posted on his condition.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
OK, I really do not know a whole lot about keeping Greeks, I will leave that to the Greek owners. Is that pellets that you are using for substrates?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Keep doing the soaks as suggested. Use a flatter piece of stone so it can get to the food. Might want to sterilize and wash the hide and everything just to be safe. I would also suggest some coco coir for substrate in lou of whats in it now. Should be eating but is more than likely stressed out. Place some more things for it to hide under. Warm soaks for now will keep good hydration abd should help stimulate some appetite, especially with carrot juice.

Do you have a heat pad under the tank as well? Could be getting too warm. Those pellets absorb the heat and will make it very very dry, which hatchlings need good hydration.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
sibi said:
This lil guy looks to be about a month old. Your habitat looks good, but the humidity should be about 80+. Sometimes when a tortoise finds itself in a different environment, it may not eat right away. I think that Yvonne has given you some good advise. Do those warm water soaks with carrot baby food. It works wonders. Also, I would just check with a vet who has treated torts before so that he can check for worms, parasites, the like. Please keep us posted on his condition.

Is It a Greek tortoise? (golden)?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
You mention your hot side is 92*, what about your cool side? You have an awful lot of lights on top of that tank. You can pick up a temperature gun pretty cheaply at a store like walmart or home depot. Your tortoise needs a cool side of the tank to cool off. My first thoughts when looking at your pics is too warm and too dry. Those pellets are an awful substrate to use, they are dry and don't hold in moisture. You can use coco coir, cypress mulch, just plain dirt from your yard (pesticide free) would work better.

When a baby tortoise is kept too warm and too dry, they dehydrate quickly. 30% humidity is too low (thats because of the pellets). Your basking temperature sounds good, but you need to figure out the temperature on the other side of the tank, away from the basking light. The soaks are going to be essential here as your baby is probably already dehydrated. I would do baby food soaks daily and get a different substrate asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.