EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Here they are .......

IMG_4991.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpegIMG_0547.jpeg
I can just give em a little kiss .....
There are 3 White Muscovy and 2 Peking females. Yet to find out the sex of the Muscovy, but they are just Lovers. Far more in need of interaction and compassion than the Peking. We adore them and look forward to figuring out their sex and name them.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I adore ducks! When I was a kid we got a pair of ducklings each Spring for 3 years. They were mine, and I had so much fun with them. Sometimes they would leave our yard and the phone would ring..."Karen, come get your ducks! They're in my garden!" And I would get them and herd them home.

When they became adults, I would release them onto the water at our summer place in MD. It would take a couple weeks to get them to leave, but they finally would stay near the other ducks who lived on the river.

One year I had released my pair of Indian Runners, and was out in our rowboat with my sister. I saw my ducks in the distance, and one of them was swimming in circles. After lifting him from the water, I saw that he had been caught in someone's muskrat trap, breaking his leg and causing a horrible maggot filled infected wound.

Being around 8 years old at the time, I took the ducks to my parents and begged them to take them to the local vet. So we all went...my parents, me, and both ducks. The healthy duck refused to leave his friend, excitedly quacking as he followed us into the vet's office and constantly circled the exam table above his head. Such love and loyalty from a duck was astounding to us. The vet took a look, and even as young as I was, I understood that he was going to put my duck down. I began screaming "no", and my dad asked the vet if there was anything he could try to save my duck. So the duck stayed overnight at the vet's office and we returned the next morning to find out what happened. The vet had thoroughly cleaned the wound, set the broken leg, and applied a cast that went from hip to ankle or whatever those parts are called on a duck. He said that he thought there was little chance of survival, but he had filled the wound with antibiotics, and sent him home with us. He didn't even charge us, he was so sure the duck would die.

For 8 weekends we carried those ducks back and forth from our home to the summer place. The duck not only survived, but was healthy, strong, and ready for the water. Dad and I removed the cast from his leg and set both ducks on our little beach. They went back onto the creek, and thrived for the remainder of that summer, got through the winter, and did well the next summer too, before disappearing during the winter.

There was a sizeable group of different species of domesticated ducks that called the creek home during that period of time. The story we were told was that there was a farmer in the area that caught the ducks late in the Autumn, and took them to his farm for the winter. A few of them always vanished before he returned them to the creek in Spring. I suppose he figured that was fair payment for his time and care. 🦆

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I adore ducks! When I was a kid we got a pair of ducklings each Spring for 3 years. They were mine, and I had so much fun with them. Sometimes they would leave our yard and the phone would ring..."Karen, come get your ducks! They're in my garden!" And I would get them and herd them home.

When they became adults, I would release them onto the water at our summer place in MD. It would take a couple weeks to get them to leave, but they finally would stay near the other ducks who lived on the river.

One year I had released my pair of Indian Runners, and was out in our rowboat with my sister. I saw my ducks in the distance, and one of them was swimming in circles. After lifting him from the water, I saw that he had been caught in someone's muskrat trap, breaking his leg and causing a horrible maggot filled infected wound.

Being around 8 years old at the time, I took the ducks to my parents and begged them to take them to the local vet. So we all went...my parents, me, and both ducks. The healthy duck refused to leave his friend, excitedly quacking as he followed us into the vet's office and constantly circled the exam table above his head. Such love and loyalty from a duck was astounding to us. The vet took a look, and even as young as I was, I understood that he was going to put my duck down. I began screaming "no", and my dad asked the vet if there was anything he could try to save my duck. So the duck stayed overnight at the vet's office and we returned the next morning to find out what happened. The vet had thoroughly cleaned the wound, set the broken leg, and applied a cast that went from hip to ankle or whatever those parts are called on a duck. He said that he thought there was little chance of survival, but he had filled the wound with antibiotics, and sent him home with us. He didn't even charge us, he was so sure the duck would die.

For 8 weekends we carried those ducks back and forth from our home to the summer place. The duck not only survived, but was healthy, strong, and ready for the water. Dad and I removed the cast from his leg and set both ducks on our little beach. They went back onto the creek, and thrived for the remainder of that summer, got through the winter, and did well the next summer too, before disappearing during the winter.

There was a sizeable group of different species of domesticated ducks that called the creek home during that period of time. The story we were told was that there was a farmer in the area that caught the ducks late in the Autumn, and took them to his farm for the winter. A few of them always vanished before he returned them to the creek in Spring. I suppose he figured that was fair payment for his time and care. 🦆
What a great story! 😍

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca

I absolutely love it. A family that understands animals are part of our world and enjoys them. I love to hear how families interact with animals in their environment, such a valuable lesson for (you) kids to learn. We feel it is so important to teach children about the real world and it's inhabitants. We feel a child that grows up learning loving animals and mother natures ways makes a better person. Such a cool story Thank You for sharing it.