Baby aldabra rear leg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, keep soaking and putting the cream on. Do not cut anything, but just pick of the scab if there is one and give a squeeze to see if you can get anything out of it. Just one time do the scab removal and squeeze then a dab of peroxide to see if that gets anything out and then all the rest of the time, just use the cream.
So one time after a soak pick off scab if there is one, dab with peroxide and put cream on.
The rest of the time, just soak, scrub it lightly a little and apply cream.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Great job! And does it look like it maybe a tiny bit better to you or is it just me? I'd continue with "moist heat" (her baths) follow by dab of that antibiotic oint. Maybe go little easier on rubbing it after the bath unless you see something obviously yucky that should come off, so make your "rubbing" more into "pretty firm wiping", then ointment. It should go one of 2 ways: 1) either come to a head and pop releasing the puss and/or whatever foreign body that's been sitting inside causing this (splinter, thorn, bee stinger??? or 2) with all those nice warm baths her body will be able to deal with this by reabsorbing it
I don't think whether it is better. Sometimes it looks better. Sometimes it looks the same. I think i will not pull the scab off now. I'll just apply antibiotic ointment for several days and keep him dry. Lets see if it gets better then good. If not, i think i need to push out whatever it is. And the job is super annoying. You know, i can't really keep him dry. He will pee. And i feel it, he hates his small container with all sides hard surface. He is not comfortable. Usually he likes to burrow a little to make himself comfy.

Yes, keep soaking and putting the cream on. Do not cut anything, but just pick of the scab if there is one and give a squeeze to see if you can get anything out of it. Just one time do the scab removal and squeeze then a dab of peroxide to see if that gets anything out and then all the rest of the time, just use the cream.
So one time after a soak pick off scab if there is one, dab with peroxide and put cream on.
The rest of the time, just soak, scrub it lightly a little and apply cream.
Oh ok. This feels good!! It sounds easy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. I mean after i do all the procedure, applying the neosporin. When his next soak time come (in the morning), i just soak him like usual? Or no soak until the wound dry? I am really new at this . Sorry.
@tortdad , @Yvonne G , @JoesMum , @wellington

You probably should keep him indoors until it heals so flies can't lay eggs on it. Soaking daily if fine, soak before you put on the ointment.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
You probably should keep him indoors until it heals so flies can't lay eggs on it. Soaking daily if fine, soak before you put on the ointment.
Yes keep soaking every morning in warm water
Got it! Hope everything goes smooth. He is now in small dry container. This container is inside his indoor enclosure. And he will be there until his leg better.
20170608_183415.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't keep him in too small a container. He still needs to exercise. Maybe just push all the substrate in his original indoor enclosure to one end and then block him from that end. This way he still has most of his enclosure to roam, etc. he needs the roaming to build muscle and to help him not get constipated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think we're all making too much out of this. Once it has been determined there is no sliver or sticker in there, it can be treated as a MINOR injury, such as a skinned knee on your human toddler.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Got it, but moving the substrate is not a good idea. I will find something else. The substrate is too thick to move and i am too lazy to do it lol.

Bee62

Germany
Hello Fredkas,

by the way: Happy birthday ! I wish you much luck, succsess and joy !
images

Your little tort is a a beauty and cute too. Please keep us updatet with her or his growth.

best regards
Sabineupload_2017-6-10_14-16-34.jpeg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thank you. Will do. I have times today. So i will let him roam on a clean tile for his activity. Then setup up bigger hospital container. I haven't did it :D

Fredkas

5 Year Member
What e beauty redfoot! Thank you.
He is active. Good news is his behavior haven't change a bit. Super active.
His leg though, i need to upload pics for you guys to judge. It is the same i think, with cleaner look.
Will try to get the pics tomorrow morning, here is 11p.m now.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Maybe.. i doubt it too. Lets see for more couple days. I was making him a better container, but sadly he need to lost the humidity because i can't put it inside his enclosure. He will be inside that first small container at night.
20170612_202148-1.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
His leg getting better for sure. The wound still there, bigger peeling area but not swollen anymore. And the area looks very clean baby soft skin. The scab was building up and peeled off itself. I think twice. Leaving the soft white looks very healthy skin. But there is still possibility this skin will dry out and peel again. Let's see what happen next. So far so good.
The bad is he still can't get access to his real enclosure (with substrate). The growth remain smooth.

Bee62

Germany
When the wound is closed and new skin grew I would take him back to his normal enclosure with the substrate. Even when the new skin will peel off again, there is already skin underneath and no open wound, so there is no danger to get an infection.
But this is only my opinion. If you are unsure you can wait for complete healing.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
When the wound is closed and new skin grew I would take him back to his normal enclosure with the substrate. Even when the new skin will peel off again, there is already skin underneath and no open wound, so there is no danger to get an infection.
But this is only my opinion. If you are unsure you can wait for complete healing.
Nice suggestion! I'll do it soon. 2 or 3 more days. Thank you! I am suck at this lol.