Baby aldabra rear leg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Hello. Its been a week. One of the rear leg of my baby aldabra was having what it looked like an infection. For the first time it was whitish. Now it is brownish. I think the swollen now is more or less the same, if not slightly bigger. I touch it with my hand, i dont think he feels hurt. He has his own enclosure. The cause could be either he got scractch from my nail or bit by insect when he is sun basking in his individual outdoor enclosure. Either one, or maybe other reasons, i am worrying this could be worse. Please give me advice. @ALDABRAMAN could you please shed some light? @Yvonne G , @JoesMum , @wellington, anyone?
Pictures...
Btw he doesn't feel any pain. Stand stong on his four feet when i pet him. Walks strong too. His appetite is crazy too.
Ps. I am sorry for my bad english.
This is the best pics i can get. He moves a lot.
20170607_184612-1.jpg 20170607_184657-1.jpg 20170607_184711-1.jpg 20170607_184725-1.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me, I would clean it out good with a little peroxide and then put some antibiotic cream on it. If it doesn't improve in a day or two or starts to get worse at all, I would take him to a vet. I would during this time keep him off any dirt, coconut coir or any kind of loose substrate that could get in it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To add to what Barb has already told you - Pick off the scab and press on either side of it to try to express any pus. Then clean it real good and look at it through a magnifying glass to see if there's a sticker of sliver in there. After you have it cleaned up, some sort of first aid cream applied. You'll have to keep him indoors until it heals to make sure flies don't lay eggs on the site.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I will go through once again all your advice as i dont understand some of the word. @Yvonne G , you mean to express any pus or push?

Vet is not an option here. They will make it worse. Please give all advice. My tort relying on me and tfo only

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Once you pick off the scab (hardened dry layer of the injury) then push on either side of the open wound to get out any infection (pus). Like squeezing a pimple.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If it were me, I would clean it out good with a little peroxide and then put some antibiotic cream on it. If it doesn't improve in a day or two or starts to get worse at all, I would take him to a vet. I would during this time keep him off any dirt, coconut coir or any kind of loose substrate that could get in it.
I am really new at this. Could you please give me a little bit of your time, what peroxide should be safe for tort. And which antibiotic cream?

Once you pick off the scab (hardened dry layer of the injury) then push on either side of the open wound to get out any infection (pus). Like squeezing a pimple.
Ok i understand now. But yvonne, from the first time, this wound is not bleeding. And it sort of from inside. No bleeding at all. I go through the picture again. It sure looks like bleeding. It is not.
So do you mean i need to pick off the scab? This is really like acne, and it is not really dry out yet.i just make it bleeding?
Yes i am afraid something inside is doing the infection

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Can i use this one?
images

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just regular peroxide, like we use on ourselves. Get the scab off, squeeze it to see if you can get any puss out, then dab with some peroxide. Then rinse with a little warm water and apply the neosporin

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let us know if you get anything out of it. The scab needs to come off to get any thing in there out, puss, whatever. If it bleeds a little that's fine and actually not a bad thing. Be sure to keep him/it clean until it heals. However, if it gets any worse then I would visit a vet

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If the scab is still soft, i need to cut it then?
He has big enclosure. I am thinking of putting him in a container inside his closed enclosure. The container floor will be white paper. Can i still soak him then?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That would be good

Soak him, pull the scab off, use the peroxide, then put the neosporen

Fredkas

5 Year Member
No. I mean after i do all the procedure, applying the neosporin. When his next soak time come (in the morning), i just soak him like usual? Or no soak until the wound dry? I am really new at this . Sorry.
@tortdad , @Yvonne G , @JoesMum , @wellington

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope he gets better quick! I love these little ones.
It would be good to know exactly what caused this. Could it be a burn? Can you send pictures of your enclosure?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thank you. Nope. Not a burn. It is weird. I suspect my nail or anything when he is roaming his outdoor enclosure.
This is his indoor enclosure. I will put the container inside this container, as the temp is suitable for him here.
One last piece of the mystery is can i still soak him. Will wait for the answer from senior members.
20170504_084137-1-jpg.206720

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you. Nope. Not a burn. It is weird. I suspect my nail or anything when he is roaming his outdoor enclosure.
This is his indoor enclosure. I will put the container inside this container, as the temp is suitable for him here.
One last piece of the mystery is can i still soak him. Will wait for the answer from senior members.
20170504_084137-1-jpg.206720
It seems as if he could have scraped off some skin off his hind leg while climbing on to his feeding tile, especially if the edges of the tile are sharp at all. Just a possibility. Experts will comment of the enclosure, I am not an aldabra expert by any means (I wish!)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
It seems as if he could have scraped off some skin off his hind leg while climbing on to his feeding tile, especially if the edges of the tile are sharp at all. Just a possibility. Experts will comment of the enclosure, I am not an aldabra expert by any means (I wish!)
Oh you are right! I am lowering the tile now. They are sharp, and yes there is that possibility also.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I can't see much of the other foot for comparison but this one looks little swollen, like all around the ankle, it looks like a little abscess. SOAK, SOAK, and SOAK again! Water nice and warm 98-103F and don't let it get cooler. After bath get him under good light and magnifying glass, wipe this thing down (gently rub) with clean gauze and see if something comes off and opens it up to drain it. It looks like an infected insect bite, or.... would it be possible for it to be a bot fly???? I know that tortoises can get them. Again: good light + magnifying glass will take the guessing game out. Please keep us updated

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I can't see much of the other foot for comparison but this one looks little swollen, like all around the ankle, it looks like a little abscess. SOAK, SOAK, and SOAK again! Water nice and warm 98-103F and don't let it get cooler. After bath get him under good light and magnifying glass, wipe this thing down (gently rub) with clean gauze and see if something comes off and opens it up to drain it. It looks like an infected insect bite, or.... would it be possible for it to be a bot fly???? I know that tortoises can get them. Again: good light + magnifying glass will take the guessing game out. Please keep us updated

This is today morning after good cleaning. This is the best pic i can got.
20170608_070030-1.jpg 20170608_070028-1.jpg 20170608_065948-1.jpg 20170608_065930-1.jpg 20170608_065924-1.jpg

Well.. The leg is not swollen. But around the wound sure a bit swollen. I attach yesterday soaking pic too. So you have a bit idea how is the leg compare to his overall body. I am at work :)
20170607_080853.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
This is today morning after good cleaning. This is the best pic i can got.
View attachment 209736 View attachment 209737 View attachment 209738 View attachment 209739 View attachment 209740

Well.. The leg is not swollen. But around the wound sure a bit swollen. I attach yesterday soaking pic too. So you have a bit idea how is the leg compare to his overall body. I am at work :)
View attachment 209741
Great job! And does it look like it maybe a tiny bit better to you or is it just me? I'd continue with "moist heat" (her baths) follow by dab of that antibiotic oint. Maybe go little easier on rubbing it after the bath unless you see something obviously yucky that should come off, so make your "rubbing" more into "pretty firm wiping", then ointment. It should go one of 2 ways: 1) either come to a head and pop releasing the puss and/or whatever foreign body that's been sitting inside causing this (splinter, thorn, bee stinger??? or 2) with all those nice warm baths her body will be able to deal with this by reabsorbing it