Attaching full spectrum light to glass lid

Andy27012

5 Year Member
I am looking to attach a 24' t5ho 5.0 fixture to the bottom of a glass lid. The light puts off some heat but not a ton. The top of the light is flat with no ridges. It is for hatchling eastern box turtles, I would not have bothered but the whole thing was at petco on clearance for 20 dollars. I have tried the super heavy duty velcro, the adhesive dissolved and the light fell within three days. I am not wanting to mount it permanently in case I need it down the road. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Andy

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
I'm not sure if it can be fixed reliably without some kind of railing (e.g. aluminium plank). You can use velcro cable ties to fix the hood to the plank.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
it might help if you posted pictures of the fixture and glass lid.

but without, the 2 ideas that come to mind:
1. attach magnets to fixture and have something on other side of glass to hold it in place
2. Depending on whether there are gaps/how the glass lid is attached/set up, a band/belt around the glass lid that can be attached to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about building two stands that will fit inside enclosure at each end and attach light to that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am looking to attach a 24' t5ho 5.0 fixture to the bottom of a glass lid. The light puts off some heat but not a ton. The top of the light is flat with no ridges. It is for hatchling eastern box turtles, I would not have bothered but the whole thing was at petco on clearance for 20 dollars. I have tried the super heavy duty velcro, the adhesive dissolved and the light fell within three days. I am not wanting to mount it permanently in case I need it down the road. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Andy
Bailing wire. Zipe ties. Hay string...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
In addition to what everyone else suggested, and assuming the T5 is for a tortoise, you will want to look into getting a 10.0 bulb instead of the 5.0.

zovick

10 Year Member!
In addition to what everyone else suggested, and assuming the T5 is for a tortoise, you will want to look into getting a 10.0 bulb instead of the 5.0.
In the first post, he mentions that this is for hatchling Eastern Box Turtles. Possibly that is why he wants the 5.0.