Tiny pink spot on Russian's belly

turtlegurl97

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello all,
While giving my tort his bath today, I noticed there was a tiny red mark on his underside. There's a bit of white skin growing over it. I suspect he probably scraped it while attempting to climb in his enclosure. I cleaned it to the best of my ability. I'm wondering what other measures I should take? It doesn't look too big but the spot concerns me. My apologies I'm not as familiar with first aid outside of cleaning.

Attachments

• 20240508_133255.jpg
    20240508_133255.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

turtlegurl97

Massachusetts
For context he's a full grown adult and is still incredibly active. He doesn't seem to show any pain. I didn't even notice the little pink spot until I happened to pick him up today. It looks like it's healing over but I wasn't sure if there were extra measures I should take. I feel bad I didn't notice sooner.

zovick

10 Year Member!
For context he's a full grown adult and is still incredibly active. He doesn't seem to show any pain. I didn't even notice the little pink spot until I happened to pick him up today. It looks like it's healing over but I wasn't sure if there were extra measures I should take. I feel bad I didn't notice sooner.
The pink spot is an area where growth is taking place and the pinkish color is due to blood vessels in the underlying bone nourishing the new growth. It is totally normal and not a concern.

Note that even though your tortoise is an adult, some amount of new growth will continue to happen over time (tortoises can actually grow in very small increments till they die).

turtlegurl97

Massachusetts
The pink spot is an area where growth is taking place and the pinkish color is due to blood vessels in the underlying bone nourishing the new growth. It is totally normal and not a concern.

Note that even though your tortoise is an adult, some amount of new growth will continue to happen over time (tortoises can actually grow in very small increments till they die).
Thank you so much for the clarification :) I actually did not know he would keep growing since he's already fully grown from my understanding. I just figured he got injured since he likes digging and climbing around. Although now I feel bad about flipping him over for the picture oops sorry little guy.