Are you "even"?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Okay, I chat about some random things but as long as the brain is still cooking, I figure it's alright.

So, ....I was wondering but I will preface this with NO, there is nothing wrong and I didn't get any "bad news" @ the Dr the other day. LOL

So anyway......if you were struck down today and had 30 seconds to realize that it "was time" and the newsreel of your life is over, yeah it happens before the realization (I never got that far, obviously).......would you feel good about your life, would you feel that you had had a good life or would you feel angry & cheated that it was over? There's a difference between disappointment and anger.

I thought it was an interesting take since most of the time, we think we will just think about our loved ones.

When one of my best friends died of cancer at 50, he said he felt good about his life, his love and his accomplishments...and that Boston finally won the Series. I loved the guy for 20 years but to me, he was my boring friend who lived a very wholesome but boring life....but when he passed, he felt "even".

If Fate strikes you down today, will you feel even?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Okay, I chat about some random things but as long as the brain is still cooking, I figure it's alright.

So, ....I was wondering but I will preface this with NO, there is nothing wrong and I didn't get any "bad news" @ the Dr the other day. LOL

So anyway......if you were struck down today and had 30 seconds to realize that it "was time" and the newsreel of your life is over, yeah it happens before the realization (I never got that far, obviously).......would you feel good about your life, would you feel that you had had a good life or would you feel angry & cheated that it was over? There's a difference between disappointment and anger.

I thought it was an interesting take since most of the time, we think we will just think about our loved ones.

When one of my best friends died of cancer at 50, he said he felt good about his life, his love and his accomplishments...and that Boston finally won the Series. I loved the guy for 20 years but to me, he was my boring friend who lived a very wholesome but boring life....but when he passed, he felt "even".

If Fate strikes you down today, will you feel even?
No.
I still feel like I need to (want to) accomplish more.
Even though I'm doing little to make that happen. And I realize that the time to do so is running out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My sister died a few years ago suddenly, and my father had a massive heart attack shortly after (he survived and is doing well now). That changed a lot for me.

Since then I've tried to put more effort into having no regrets about anything, being slow to anger and not leaving things unsaid. If someone has had an impact in my life, I want them to know that and I always try to communicate my appreciation for them. I feel that my life is "even" in that way.

I don't know if I'd ever be able to accomplish everything I want to in life, there's just too much to do and experience. I'm OK with never reconciling all of my endeavors. I put a lot of effort into the important things, like spending time with family, and anything else I can accomplish is just added bonus.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Life is so much fun I've never wanted to miss a thing. And I can say with what little time we have ( we only have the present second) I've done what I could. I never had much money but I was always able to find a way to do my whims. Learning how to do basket weaving from natural stuff (free), crafts, sewing, playing piano, gardening, raising children etc and then I got a tortoise. Believe it or not everything that I've ever learned helps me with him. No I don't want to give up ever but if it's my time I guess I'll have to.🤗

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I learned of the existence of cucumber sprite on july 17, 2018 and since then it has been my goal. if i fail in that, the whole learning russian thing might have been a waste

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
No. I've made too many wrong decisions for the wrong reasons. My life would have been very diffferent if I had listened to me instead of allowing myself to be talked out of what I really wanted.

I found this poem many years ago, and have always thought it described well my viewpoint of my life. But unfortunately, I don't think I have added a stone, nor do I think an emptiness will yawn.

I'm not saying that no one will mourn me...I know there are people who love me. But as for making a legacy, leaving a mark on the universe, doing something truly remarkable, my name being remembered in 50 years...I have failed at those achievements. I have too many regrets to ever feel "even".

While Yet There is Time

The hours slip past,

Our moments melt into the eternity behind us

Time sweeps us onto a destination from which there is no return.

While yet there is time,

Look out upon the world,

Devour it with your eyes,

And if your spirit demands more

Add at least one stone to the edifice being built

Fill your lungs with the smell of flowers,

Let the first cool breath of dawn blow through your hair

While yet there is time

Let us greet the dawn together,

While yet there is time,

Love and be loved,

Let your thoughts throw light in dark places,

Let your lips blossom in a smile.

While yet there is time,

Let the hand of a friend feel the warmth of your hand,

How much we have to do, to create, to express.

While yet there is time

Graft a slender bough to a mighty tree

Do not say I love to everyone,

be merciless to your enemies,

be tender to your friends.

While yet there is time,

live, labor,

but live and labor so that when you are gone,

everyone will see that where once you were

an emptiness yawns.

~Razul Rza

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. I've made too many wrong decisions for the wrong reasons. My life would have been very diffferent if I had listened to me instead of allowing myself to be talked out of what I really wanted.

I found this poem many years ago, and have always thought it described well my viewpoint of my life. But unfortunately, I don't think I have added a stone, nor do I think an emptiness will yawn.

I'm not saying that no one will mourn me...I know there are people who love me. But as for making a legacy, leaving a mark on the universe, doing something truly remarkable, my name being remembered in 50 years...I have failed at those achievements. I have too many regrets to ever feel "even".

While Yet There is Time

The hours slip past,

Our moments melt into the eternity behind us

Time sweeps us onto a destination from which there is no return.

While yet there is time,

Look out upon the world,

Devour it with your eyes,

And if your spirit demands more

Add at least one stone to the edifice being built

Fill your lungs with the smell of flowers,

Let the first cool breath of dawn blow through your hair

While yet there is time

Let us greet the dawn together,

While yet there is time,

Love and be loved,

Let your thoughts throw light in dark places,

Let your lips blossom in a smile.

While yet there is time,

Let the hand of a friend feel the warmth of your hand,

How much we have to do, to create, to express.

While yet there is time

Graft a slender bough to a mighty tree

Do not say I love to everyone,

be merciless to your enemies,

be tender to your friends.

While yet there is time,

live, labor,

but live and labor so that when you are gone,

everyone will see that where once you were

an emptiness yawns.

~Razul Rza
I'm sure everyone reading this poem will all have their own different thoughts and feelings about it. It made me think of my falconry. Getting out of the car at dawn out in some remote field, just me and the birds, the cold breeze blowing, the damp smell of all the plants and the earth as the birds and I set out for the thrill of the hunt... It brings a smile just thinking of it. I get a similar feeling on a scuba dive. Just sitting at the bottom of the ocean, listening to each slow breath, watching ocean life going about its business. No thoughts of the troubles of life. Those worries, frustrations, and problems are left at the surface.

I can't speak for everyone, but I will miss you when you are gone Karen. Even though I'm not speaking for everyone, I'm pretty sure our regulars here feel the same way.

EricW

Houston, TX
But as for making a legacy, leaving a mark on the universe, doing something truly remarkable, my name being remembered in 50 years...I have failed at those achievements.
Bull honkey, I bet you did

Some marks or legacies by some are larger than others, but we get caught up on fame and think we need to have a statue or something to be a legacy or a mark and that just isn't true. Some of the best legacies and marks on this universe are from the some of the smallest deeds we do and don't even know it. I have many stories that fortunately for me I know made a mark. Knowing them made me realize that I do not need to be famous, win a medal of honor, dubbed a hero, etc.

Here is a good story, it is our role in the Universe. It is the small things that matter.
1691766539228.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can say, if I had it to do over, I would change many things.
I can't say I have no regrets, but they are personal regrets, with no real affect on anyone else.
I never wanted to make big changes to the world, just quietly go thru life caring, protecting, loving and enjoying family, friends and all my animals. I never needed many humans in my life outside of family. My friends are loved friends forever and I will always be there for them, but I never was one to need a bunch of people. I'm very much self help for me, but will help others at the drop of a hat. I take after my dad that way, he was my world. I don't care if I'm remembered or not, as long as the family, friends and animals know how much I love them and care for them, specially my son.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm sure everyone reading this poem will all have their own different thoughts and feelings about it. It made me think of my falconry. Getting out of the car at dawn out in some remote field, just me and the birds, the cold breeze blowing, the damp smell of all the plants and the earth as the birds and I set out for the thrill of the hunt... It brings a smile just thinking of it. I get a similar feeling on a scuba dive. Just sitting at the bottom of the ocean, listening to each slow breath, watching ocean life going about its business. No thoughts of the troubles of life. Those worries, frustrations, and problems are left at the surface.

I can't speak for everyone, but I will miss you when you are gone Karen. Even though I'm not speaking for everyone, I'm pretty sure our regulars here feel the same way.
Tom, reading your posts about your adventures, whether they are work or leisure, always makes my day! You do so much really cool stuff! I'm thinking maybe I should try scuba diving...leaving all of life's junk at the surface sounds like what I need.

I'd like to be your shadow for a month, though I doubt that I could keep up with you. What an extraordinary education that would be. :D

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Tom, reading your posts about your adventures, whether they are work or leisure, always makes my day! You do so much really cool stuff! I'm thinking maybe I should try scuba diving...leaving all of life's junk at the surface sounds like what I need.

I'd like to be your shadow for a month, though I doubt that I could keep up with you. What an extraordinary education that would be. :D
"Leaving all of life's junk at the surface" - love that, Karen.

There are some very articulate and insightful members on this forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I have never scuba dived, but have snorkeled many times and not just from a beach, but go out off a boat, it's as close to that scuba feeling as you can get, in my opinion. Seeing that world, the life, the beauty, the quiet, just floating there and seeing such depths is scary yet so amazing.