Are tortoises here overpriced??

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi everyone! just thought id shed some light on the situation in New Zealand as Tortoises here are REALLY expensive. The tortoises in America seem so cheap and accessible compared to New Zealand! lol.

To be honest, I think there is a lack of good breeders in New Zealand money-wise, they are all very expensive (And they tend to gatekeep tortoises) For example they might desex their tortoise or make you sign a contract stating you won't breed them. And honestly, I think it's mean! They all know tortoises aren't worth $1,800 NZD but yet they gatekeep tortoises so the price remains high! AND it just going up (from high demand)

Most people who really want a tortoise here are too scared to buy one since they are afraid if it dies they just lost nearly 1,088.55 USD!!!

I have never bred tortoises (EVEN though I'd love to start doing that in the future) and I don't know how much effort goes into breeding them but are they worth 1,088.55 USD?? I'd love to hear your thoughts below! thanks!! 🐢🐢🐢

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a few species that I would consider expensive that are around the price you listed. Aldabra, Radiated, Galapagos just to name a few. Most others are more in the hundreds, not thousands.
When you consider how long they live, it's worth it. I have paid almost 2 thousand for each of my dogs I have had and the most years I got was 13.
Besides the fact that all animals are worth it, if you love that specific breed or species.
As for raising tortoises. No, it's not cheap and not easy if you do it right! Sadly, most don't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! just thought id shed some light on the situation in New Zealand as Tortoises here are REALLY expensive. The tortoises in America seem so cheap and accessible compared to New Zealand! lol.

To be honest, I think there is a lack of good breeders in New Zealand money-wise, they are all very expensive (And they tend to gatekeep tortoises) For example they might desex their tortoise or make you sign a contract stating you won't breed them. And honestly, I think it's mean! They all know tortoises aren't worth $1,800 NZD but yet they gatekeep tortoises so the price remains high! AND it just going up (from high demand)

Most people who really want a tortoise here are too scared to buy one since they are afraid if it dies they just lost nearly 1,088.55 USD!!!

I have never bred tortoises (EVEN though I'd love to start doing that in the future) and I don't know how much effort goes into breeding them but are they worth 1,088.55 USD?? I'd love to hear your thoughts below! thanks!! 🐢🐢🐢
Supply and demand. Simple, basic, easy-to-understand economics.

As far as their non-breeding contracts, that is taking it WAY too far. That is BS and I'd try to find a way around that.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Just to clarify for semantics, I believe in Australia (and NZ??) that the term "tortoise" is used for all Testudo other than sea turtles, whereas in the US we use Tortoise for the "elephant feet" vs the "toed feet" species which we call Turtles. I can't recall what Europe does...

So a red-eared slider isn't called a tortoise in the US, its called a turtle. Not that what we do is the 'be all, end all" just clarifying for people reading the thread.

At least that's my understanding, but I could be wrong

There are a few species that I would consider expensive that are around the price you listed. Aldabra, Radiated, Galapagos just to name a few. Most others are more in the hundreds, not thousands.
When you consider how long they live, it's worth it. I have paid almost 2 thousand for each of my dogs I have had and the most years I got was 13.
Besides the fact that all animals are worth it, if you love that specific breed or species.
As for raising tortoises. No, it's not cheap and not easy if you do it right! Sadly, most don't.
Totally agree, I just think they are overpriced. I do think it's worth it, but the gatekeeping annoys me. The only tortoise species allowed in New Zealand are the Hermann's tortoise and the Greek tortoise. I WISH we could own Sulcata's and Galapagos!! that would be awesome! Unfortunately, the Department of Conservation (DOC) limits us from owning a lot of pets like, Sugar gliders, chameleons, ferrets etc.

Just to clarify for semantics, I believe in Australia (and NZ??) that the term "tortoise" is used for all Testudo other than sea turtles, whereas in the US we use Tortoise for the "elephant feet" vs the "toed feet" species which we call Turtles. I can't recall what Europe does...

So a red-eared slider isn't called a tortoise in the US, its called a turtle. Not that what we do is the 'be all, end all" just clarifying for people reading the thread.

Just realized I made a mistake lol! i meant to say "Turtles, like the read-eared slider" whoops!! (New Zealand has the same wording as the US)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Demand sets the price.
Usually there is more demand for something that is rare. An animal or an object.
I see that with some items that I collect. As soon as a "thing" that no one particularly wanted is no longer available, the price and the interest for that thing shoots up.
It's human behavior.
We mostly want what we can't have

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

The saying here in the US is a "tortoise is a turtle but a turtle isn't a tortoise." That's only among certain experts 😉 though and whatever 😜We have red-eared sliders here but they are considered a turtle because they have a hinged plastron. Tortoises don't. So a turtle can't be a tortoise and a tortoise can't be a turtle 🐢🥴 just my thoughts 😁

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
The saying here in the US is a "tortoise is a turtle but a turtle isn't a tortoise." That's only among certain experts 😉 though and whatever 😜We have red-eared sliders here but they are considered a turtle because they have a hinged plastron. Tortoises don't. So a turtle can't be a tortoise and a tortoise can't be a turtle 🐢🥴 just my thoughts 😁
Hmm, I thought it was the opposite. All Tortoises are Turtles, but not all Turtles are Tortoises...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have always thought that Box turtles are really tortoises because they don't live in water.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have always thought that Box turtles are really tortoises because they don't live in water.
I guess they truely are a turtle because they have the hinged plastron. Their territory is just within a very few miles of a river or lake. I considered one because they spend most of their time on land. I didn't want a meat eater though. I chose Sapphire (a little Russian tortoise) because he's a vegan. 🙃I still haven't been able to Google how many miles a Russian can walk in a day. Google just gives whole countries if I ask.🥴

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I guess they truely are a turtle because they have the hinged plastron. Their territory is just within a very few miles of a river or lake. I considered one because they spend most of their time on land. I didn't want a meat eater though. I chose Sapphire (a little Russian tortoise) because he's a vegan. 🙃I still haven't been able to Google how many miles a Russian can walk in a day. Google just gives whole countries if I ask.🥴
Hingeback tortoises, Kinixsys, have hinged plastrons. Box turtles have the rear elephant feet.

I always used the water to determine turtle or tortoise. Turtles generally live in water, while tortoises live on land.

Exceptions abound...

EricW

Houston, TX
We have red-eared sliders here but they are considered a turtle because they have a hinged plastron.
Red ear slider's have a hinged plastron? I haven't experienced that.

Box turtles do spend a considerable time in water if available. Can find them in swamps, bogs, etc. swimming, whereas not likely to find a tortoise in those environments.

But then there is the Western Swamp Tortoise, so there is exceptions I suppose.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I wasn't aware that some turtles don't have a hinged plastron. I assumed they all close up some way somehow. 🙄

EricW

Houston, TX
I wasn't aware that some turtles don't have a hinged plastron. I assumed they all close up some way somehow. 🙄
I am only aware of box turtles and mud turtles having hinged plastrons in the U.S. Box turtles being the only ones that can full close up.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I am only aware of box turtles and mud turtles having hinged plastrons in the U.S. Box turtles being the only ones that can full close up.
I'm going to go to my friend Google. Ive always assumed that all turtles can fully close up because of what I've seen.. Maybe I didn't get to see enough.,🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm going to go to my friend Google. Ive always assumed that all turtles can fully close up because of what I've seen.. Maybe I didn't get to see enough.,🤗
Yes and now I'm seeing a Homes tortoise with a hinged carapace. Never assume is the moral of the story 🤗