Are they like babies? Do they stop eating when they are full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikoytea

5 Year Member
I just bought them a spring mix and they are devouring it. Should I limit their intake or let them eat until they are full?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us feed babies a large handful. Then if they eat all of that, we give them a larger handful the next time. I own a leopard and when he was little and still today, he is now two, I always make sure he has food left over. Just incase he gets the munchies. Don't forget, they are used to grazing thought out the day. They will eat what the need.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If they eat it then that's great! Let them eat until they are full like you said.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Wait until they get to be an adult like mine and they literally never stop eating. That's all the want to do all day long is roam around and eat.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
If you don't have a good size yard with lots of grass they will eat you broke. Even with a big yard you still have to feed them other things as adults though. A large adult like mine can eat a half acre of grass all the way down to the dirt in a summer if other food is not given.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I've never seen my 1 year old sulcata stop eating. He will stop, do some laps and then eat more. It's amazing. He is 6 inches and wil eat 3x the amount of his shell 2-3 times a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grazing on grass and weeds outdoors is best. They will graze and walk all day and never seem to fill up.

Indoors I give hatchlings as much as they will eat and always have food available. I adjust the intake for older ones and give them as much as I anticipate they will eat in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.