Anybody seen these???...

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Can you show us pictures of their whole bodies? And can you please tell me what kind of tortoises/turtles these are? Sorry for the stupid question but I just don't know. But they are very pretty I can say that.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Can you show us pictures of their whole bodies? And can you please tell me what kind of tortoises/turtles these are? Sorry for the stupid question but I just don't know. But they are very pretty I can say that.

These are all Diamondback Terrapins - Malaclemys terrapin [ ssp ] - they are "Brackish Water" turtles! This one is commonly known as WHITE Concentric.. captive hatched.. ( raised first year in fresh water [ before I got her ] and developed shell fungus ).. have had her about 18 months now.

I am a strict advocate of keeping these creatures as they are found in the wild -- BRACKISH WATER!.. which is coastal waters from Maryland down the East coast and up and around the Gulf of Mexico.. where the fresh meets the salt [ not fresh nor salt -- salty-fresh ] - the only North American water turtle that lives in Brackish Water!!! Originally there were 7 sub-species ( ssp. ).

This is how they look when kept "naturally" - Brackish Water - she just may be mature this year!

Is she stunning or what???

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This is Malaclemys t. macrospilota.. aka Ornate Diamondback Terrapin. The outstanding thing about this MALE [ which is rare in it's own right ] is the patterns on his carapace known as "FLOWERBACK". They are 'protected' .. along the west coast of Florida! This highly prized Ornate is a prime example.. MALES rarely grow to over 5" SCL -

He is a prime breeder!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
These are all Diamondback Terrapins - Malaclemys terrapin [ ssp ] - they are "Brackish Water" turtles! This one is commonly known as WHITE Concentric.. captive hatched.. ( raised first year in fresh water [ before I got her ] and developed shell fungus ).. have had her about 18 months now.

I am a strict advocate of keeping these creatures as they are found in the wild -- BRACKISH WATER!.. which is coastal waters from Maryland down the East coast and up and around the Gulf of Mexico.. where the fresh meets the salt [ not fresh nor salt -- salty-fresh ] - the only North American water turtle that lives in Brackish Water!!! Originally there were 7 sub-species ( ssp. ).

This is how they look when kept "naturally" - Brackish Water - she just may be mature this year!

Is she stunning or what???
SO GORGEOUS!!!!!!! :):):)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This is Malaclemys t. macrospilota.. aka Ornate Diamondback Terrapin. The outstanding thing about this MALE [ which is rare in it's own right ] is the patterns on his carapace known as "FLOWERBACK". They are 'protected' .. along the west coast of Florida! This highly prized Ornate is a prime example.. MALES rarely grow to over 5" SCL -

He is a prime breeder!
I think the Diamondbacks truly are THE MOST BEAUTIFUL turtles there are!!!!!! :):):)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Omg! I've never seen one like that! They look like they all have big lips. I just imagined red lipstick over that area truly beautiful animal!!!! I'll be reading up on them tonight! Thank you for sharing those. True BEAUTIES!!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see you remembered your password!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, not too many of first timers left on the Forum.