A few Diamondback Terrapins

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
@Markw84 -- @GotTort

We've had 3" rain in past 24 hours.. so I was out siphoning off water and decided to catch some of the gang! Feel free to ask any questions you may have...

They are so friendly that they come right up to the side of the tanks to see if I'm going to feed them. They are so rambunctious that it's almost impossible to get any decent pics of them .. especially the big "Gulf Coast"!

I call her CreamGirl ..

The only SE FL 'sub' is this typically dark female with the Gulf Coast now -

While siphoning .. went into their building to grab a few -

2014 "White" Concentric Male -

2015 "White" Concentric Male -

2015 Gulf Coast "Mississippi" - looking female so far -

And back outside to catch the 'Blue & White' Concentrics -

My 2013 Male ( in the middle ) -

Another 'Blue & White' Concentrics group pic -

Hope you like...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Beautiful terrapins, Terry! You have some great colorations and markings on these. I also love how absolutely "friendly" and unafraid they are. Ours also are constantly swimming at the glass window closest to use looking for food. And they love to be hand fed.

You take yours out to put in fresh water to feed, correct? How often? Is that daily? What level of salinity do you maintain in their main habitat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terry: Have you given up on the RFs? I see you mainly posting now about the DBT.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Actually Mark ( although not as elaborate as yours ).. ( outdoors ) I've incorporated two tanks attached so they can cross over from the main tank of 1.015-16 Brackish into the Fresh .. at will. That way they can drink whenever - or feed usually every other day. The Fresh tank is much smaller and plumbed so it can be changed .. because they are such messy eaters - usually 7-10 day intervals -

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
man such a gorgeous species is there permits required to have them?

Some states are open.. some have restrictions - wherever they are native. They live ONLY in BRACKISH water along the Atlantic and Gulf Coast shores.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Terry: Have you given up on the RFs? I see you mainly posting now about the DBT.

Hardly 'given up' Yvonne.. still keep a few sub-adults - no longer breeding. It became too much. The main pair I had since 2004 went to a younger couple with experience. Besides the spotted turtle they were my "first-love" - not easy to give them up :(

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Actually Mark ( although not as elaborate as yours ).. ( outdoors ) I've incorporated two tanks attached so they can cross over from the main tank of 1.015-16 Brackish into the Fresh .. at will. That way they can drink whenever - or feed usually every other day. The Fresh tank is much smaller and plumbed so it can be changed .. because they are such messy eaters - usually 7-10 day intervals -

usually 7-10 day intervals - meant their "Fresh/feeding" tank is changed that often...

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Hardly 'given up' Yvonne.. still keep a few sub-adults - no longer breeding. It became too much. The main pair I had since 2004 went to a younger couple with experience. Besides the spotted turtle they were my "first-love" - not easy to give them up :(

ah no more super dark redfoots? these's guy's seem pretty neat to

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
@Markw84 -- @GotTort

We've had 3" rain in past 24 hours.. so I was out siphoning off water and decided to catch some of the gang! Feel free to ask any questions you may have...

They are so friendly that they come right up to the side of the tanks to see if I'm going to feed them. They are so rambunctious that it's almost impossible to get any decent pics of them .. especially the big "Gulf Coast"!

I call her CreamGirl ..

The only SE FL 'sub' is this typically dark female with the Gulf Coast now -

While siphoning .. went into their building to grab a few -

2014 "White" Concentric Male -

2015 "White" Concentric Male -

2015 Gulf Coast "Mississippi" - looking female so far -

And back outside to catch the 'Blue & White' Concentrics -

My 2013 Male ( in the middle ) -

Another 'Blue & White' Concentrics group pic -

Hope you like...

Just BEAUTIFUL: one and ALL!!! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hello! I have had my new baby turtles for 24hrs now and I have a few questions hopefully someone can help answer! First things first, is this in fact a diamondback terrapin?View attachment 200375View attachment 200376 I originally bought a habitat and did research for map turtles but I decided to get these littles instead. After only the first day, they're water is sort of murky. I put them in preconditioned tap water. View attachment 200377 please advise if I need to do something differently to their water, and/or if they need to be removed for feeding. Also some diet tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED
Hi, lizmcd14!
Welcome to the Forum!!
You will almost certainly get more attention and more responses if you start this as it's own thread.
I only keep a mud turtle, so I'm afraid I don't have much to offer.
Good luck! :)