Almost adopted a Sulcata but left disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
What about the Rescue Fund? I think that's a great idea. Who has a large enough place that can consider what is being proposed here? Chime in please.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
I agree that the rescue fund is a good idea, but I think it would be a little complicated. Some one would need the room and probably need to set up a 501c non-profit. I think it would be worth it.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have an acre and I could definitely house a few but I would really like to be a halfway house and be trying to find permanent homes for them.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Oh, this is what I was thinking... The rescue fund would have some $$$ that individual forum members can apply for if they find a tortoise in their area, perhaps on CL, that is in a horrible situation and should be rescued ASAP by someone who knows something about torts. The fund $$$ could be used by that individual to "buy" the tortoise, as well as maybe a vet visit if something is horribly wrong with the animal. The member would then get the animal on the road to recovery, if needed, while searching for a fantastic permanent home for the animal. An adoption fee would be charged to cover some of the care costs, and then that money would be put back into the rescue fund for other torts in need.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I think if we could get a just one person per city or more than one for larger cities (like San Antonio perhaps...hint hint greyshirt) we could probably make a difference. We should start a different thread in the general discussion area and then make it a stickie if we get enough participation.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
OK, I'm volunteering to coordinate this. Let me know what you think about these ideas, and I'll get it done...

I'll post a new thread as the TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK. Anyone will be able to participate as a foster if they identify an animal in trouble via CL, that needs rescue ASAP, and they post the link. Priority will be given to torts the worst conditions, i.e., those showing symptoms of MBD, or evidence that a tiny barren tank is their main living space, etc. An account could be set up through Pay Pal (unless there's a better way to do it... any ideas?) to make transfers between the TRN and fosters. I'll fund it initially, and then if it seems like it's working and people are comfortable making donations, we'll make the necessary adjustments and go from there. ???

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Sounds good to me! I have a natural habit of checking the Orange County, CA Craigslist daily. Would be great to have somewhere to report to.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
As far as donations goes, it doesnt have to be rediculous, hell, 5 bucks a month per "volunteer" would be sufficient. As far as paypal is concerned that might be a good idea. I think this might end up being a pretty decent idea after we work out some kinks.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
I think it all sounds very good. I will support it as much as I can. I already rescue native reptiles, so it it is for rescue and rehome I could help that way. I also watch CL everyday. I'm getting a new "Russian" female on Tuesday that I didn't plan on. I've never been good at family planning.:p I'm going to keep her. This idea could possibly help lots of tortoises and turtles.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
We've got some good ideas here....but, what we need now is a lead person w/the experience to set up such a rescue so that he/she can advise us where to go from here. I think we may have enough support here, and more will come as the process moves along. One of the most important things, though, is to have full transparency. We would hate for funds to be taken from members here with no real check and balances. One thing we may consider is getting in touch with one of the moderators here at the forum and see if this can be done through this forum. I'll get in touch with Josh and perhaps we can start a new thread asking for members to take a vote on whether or not they'd support such a rescue.

Sorry guys. I just read the introductions and rules of this forum. Apparently, no donations for rescuing torts are allowed through this forum. I did get in touch with Josh and asked about it, but I suspect that he'll only tell me what I'm telling you now. So, I guess we can start something new elsewhere, and perhaps the person with all that property for torts' rescue can initiate the process since she's the one with the property. Let me know what you think.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
shellysmom said:
OK, I'm volunteering to coordinate this. Let me know what you think about these ideas, and I'll get it done...

I'll post a new thread as the TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK. Anyone will be able to participate as a foster if they identify an animal in trouble via CL, that needs rescue ASAP, and they post the link. Priority will be given to torts the worst conditions, i.e., those showing symptoms of MBD, or evidence that a tiny barren tank is their main living space, etc. An account could be set up through Pay Pal (unless there's a better way to do it... any ideas?) to make transfers between the TRN and fosters. I'll fund it initially, and then if it seems like it's working and people are comfortable making donations, we'll make the necessary adjustments and go from there. ???

I wouldn mind supporting this because i also hate seeing mistreated/neglected animals, i dont have space but i could donate as soon as i get back working this or next month

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
sibi said:
We've got some good ideas here....but, what we need now is a lead person w/the experience to set up such a rescue so that he/she can advise us where to go from here. I think we may have enough support here, and more will come as the process moves along. One of the most important things, though, is to have full transparency. We would hate for funds to be taken from members here with no real check and balances. One thing we may consider is getting in touch with one of the moderators here at the forum and see if this can be done through this forum. I'll get in touch with Josh and perhaps we can start a new thread asking for members to take a vote on whether or not they'd support such a rescue.

Sorry guys. I just read the introductions and rules of this forum. Apparently, no donations for rescuing torts are allowed through this forum. I did get in touch with Josh and asked about it, but I suspect that he'll only tell me what I'm telling you now. So, I guess we can start something new elsewhere, and perhaps the person with all that property for torts' rescue can initiate the process since she's the one with the property. Let me know what you think.

Hi Sibi, thanks for your concerns. I am not asking anyone in the forum to donate at this time. I am raising funds for this project outside the forum, through people I know personally and locally. I am, however, asking people to help me identify torts in need and let me know if they are interested in helping through fostering, etc. I believe that falls within the rules of the self promotion portion of the forum, but if I'm incorrect, I'm sure Josh or one of the moderators will let me know, and they can delete all my posts. I volunteered to head this project because I DO have many years of experience coordinating animal rescue programs. The entire point of spreading the torts out, and trying to find local foster homes for them, is so that one person is not overwhelmed with the task of taking care of all the torts, rather many people all over the country would be available to help one or two at a time, and together we can make a big difference for torts in need.

Status
Not open for further replies.