Almost adopted a Sulcata but left disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I saw the post too, it looked kind of pyramided to me and it looked so sad. I hope that RuthieHurry will be able to get it and give it the care it needs.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
lovelyrosepetal said:
I saw the post too, it looked kind of pyramided to me and it looked so sad. I hope that RuthieHurry will be able to get it and give it the care it needs.

I sure hope so, too. So far I haven't a received a response to my email. I was hoping to leave for San Antonio by 2, since it's a good distance away :(

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Well I dont have the number anymore so I cant help there BUT I did come across this guy and his is 6 months old and comes with a 20 long all for 80 bucks. Im close to going up there but I thought id offer him up to some other members first.

Hes in north Austin

http://austin.craigslist.org/pet/3279967581.html

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
jtrux said:
Well I dont have the number anymore so I cant help there BUT I did come across this guy and his is 6 months old and comes with a 20 long all for 80 bucks. Im close to going up there but I thought id offer him up to some other members first.

Hes in north Austin

http://austin.craigslist.org/pet/3279967581.html

Cute little guy there. I'm not really looking for another tortoise, just couldn't resist trying to help the one in San Antonio. You should make the trip to Austin :)

Well, I just heard from the lady. She said she already "got someone else to take it." Don't know if that means she sold it, or convinced a friend to take it.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
RuthieHurry said:
Cute little guy there. I'm not really looking for another tortoise, just couldn't resist trying to help the one in San Antonio. You should make the trip to Austin :)

Well, I just heard from the lady. She said she already "got someone else to take it." Don't know if that means she sold it, or convinced a friend to take it.

:'(

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
How sad! People drive me nuts sometimes! This thread has started me thinking though... Is there really any way to tell the age of a tortoise in this condition? I recently rescued 2 Sulcatas and have no idea how old they are and they were being kept in similar conditions (except this lady was planning on breeding them!!!) The female is small but VERY pyramided and I never thought about the possibility of her being an older tort...

Hopefully who ever took that baby will give it a proper home. (After all, when you live to be 100+ I think it's safe to say 3 is still a baby!)

I'm starting to think you guys are right about torts being addictive :D

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
It's just a shame that so many people/pet shops sell these guys and don't tell the new owners what's in store for them. They just want to make a buck. Very few people actually have the ability, time, money and most of all desire to raise a Sulcata correctly.

WinterDB

5 Year Member
If i was in that situation, i would have zero self control..I would have gone off on a rant about how its living conditions SHOULD have been. Or i would have just bought the tortoise out of pity, despite its sketchy upbringing. My willpower diminishes quickly when it has to do with a tortoise in need. I'm really glad someone was willing to take the poor thing, i'm sure it will live a MUCH happier life than it has been.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I hate seeing things like this, I would love to be able to rescue some of these poor tortoises, but I don't have much space. Maybe we should get something started where members can donate to a fund to save these tortoises and someone who has space can take care of them.

tessacat1795

5 Year Member
jtrux said:
It's just a shame that so many people/pet shops sell these guys and don't tell the new owners what's in store for them. They just want to make a buck. Very few people actually have the ability, time, money and most of all desire to raise a Sulcata correctly.

You are soooo right. I work, as a groomer, at a pet store. We sell birds and, yes, we have a Sulcata for sale as well. I have an African Grey, two Quaker Parrots, and a Parakeet, as well as our adopted Sulcata, Myrtle. I am open, up-front, and honest with anyone interested in these animals about the care that they require, as are the people I work with. The particular store I work at-the employees genuinely care about the animals and will discourage those that we don't think would take good care of them. We recently sold a Moluccan (sp) Cockatoo that we'd had for over a year. We were all soooo excited for him because we knew he wasn't thriving at our store. He went to wonderful home, and we were all there to say goodbye and give him a kiss. But I am well aware that it is not the norm. I don't think it's even our "company policy." I just work with a great group of people. That being said, no pet store can really care for any of these kinds of animals well, especially for any length of time.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Spn785 said:
I hate seeing things like this, I would love to be able to rescue some of these poor tortoises, but I don't have much space. Maybe we should get something started where members can donate to a fund to save these tortoises and someone who has space can take care of them.

I'm in! The TFO Rescue Fund!! ;)

Even if it's just to get the animals out of the worst places, like tiny dry tanks, get their health checked, and find *good* homes... I tell you, the guy I got my redfoot from on CL literally said something like, "The first good offer takes her." He did not really care where she ended up.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
greyshirt said:
I found this just now. Kinda expensive but maybe you can get the price down.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3313528345.html

He's high on the price and probably wouldn't come down but it's tempting none the less. I gotta stop looking at CL, just gets me in trouble.

I gotta a few buddies down in Floresville, they all work for CPS. You ever heard of the Keylichs?

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
I gotta a few buddies down in Floresville, they all work for CPS. You ever heard of the Keylichs?
[/quote]

Yes, they used to have a auto repair here about 25 or 30 years ago. My oldest daughter and my son went to school with their kids. I don't really know them other than to say "Hi" when I see them. I think it's a large family. I had an A/C business here for many years, so I've met a lot of people, but I didn't grow up here, so a lot of people know me but I don't remember them.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ahh, yea i'm pretty good friends with one of their sons, we worked together for several years and stay in contact. He told me about the shop, said it's where the HEB is now or real close by there.

Oh and a little off the subject, there's a new ice cream at HEB called floresville sunday or something like that...I haven't tried it but since you live there you have to get some and let me know how it is. haha

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
Yes that's where it was. I'll try that ice cream. Floresville is really growing, we even have traffic congestion now(oil boom).

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yea i've been hearing about all the job fairs down at the convention center. I went to one out of curiosity but they are just looking for bodies. Not really anything worth looking into. I live over in Castle Hills so I know all about congestion.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
I try not to go into SA anymore than I have to. Castle Hills is a nice area, but like you said to go anywhere is a lot of traffic. I have to go up to the Audie Murphy VA sometimes, but I really hate it. It takes about an hour just to park in their parking lot. I'm glad I live in a small town.

Status
Not open for further replies.