Almost adopted a Sulcata but left disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I recently got the go ahead to start searching for a baby tortoise. I really had my heart set on a Leopard but got to looking at craigslist and saw a post for a baby Sulcata needing a new home. I emailed and sure enought she had a baby in a 10 gallon and desperately needed the money and wanted 120 for a rehoming fee. I offered 60 because I felt 120 was just too high and I was trying to get a good deal obviously. Well we went back and forth and settled on 75. So I go over there this evening to pick it up and was just disgusted when I walked through the house. It was just plain nasty in the house. A bunch of different odors wafted through the house, mystery stains every couple feet...just gross. Now before I go on, i'm not usually one to judge but this was a little much.

She walks me to where the cage was and just like she said there was a little baby Sulcata in a 10 gallon and he appeared to be healthy...smooth shell, clear eyes and nostrils so I was just about to hand her the money and get the heck out of there when I happened to ask how old it was. Now just from looking at him/her you would swear it was just a few months, but she looks at me and says it was 3 years old!!!!! I asked her if she meant 3 months and she corrected me and said 3 years...

The little guy had just a regular heat lamp, no UVB and ONLY ate dried tortoise pellets so he probably didn't have the best upbringing but I still highly doubt he was anywhere near that age considering the condition of his shell and so forth BUT since she obviously didn't appear to have a grasp on reality based solely on her living situation, appearance and other subtle signs I told her I would have to pass. I felt bad for the little guy but I just couldn't justify spending 75 bucks on it when I couldn't even trust the source I was getting him from. I did make a lesser offer once again out of pity for the little guy but she wouldn't budge so I went on my way.

Whether the tortoise was 3 years old or not this is once again another very good example of people buying animals they are in no way prepared to care for. I'm half tempted to call animal control or something just out of spite. I just felt bad walking away but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for him. She did say that other people have called her about him so I hope that's the case and I hope someone can give it a good home.

Guess i'm back on the prowl, if anyone knows of a reputable breeder of Sulcatas and/or Leopards i'd love to know who they are because I really don't want to deal with that kind of disappoint again, it was a real let down.

Josh

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
That really must have been a disappointing trip. Unfortunately I have seen a 3 year old sulcata that was extremely small and even my 2 month old babies were bigger than it which just broke my heart. I dont blame you for not paying 75 dollars for it because I wouldnt have either, I would have leveled with her and told her that this tortoise is just not healthy and try to convince her to give you the tortoise so you can nurture the tortoise back to health.

For the reputable breeders on this forum with sulcatas available there is myself, Tom, and Austin (ArizonaSulcata). With leopards there is myself and I think Tortieluver has some available too. Sorry if I left anyone out.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I'm sorry! Unfortunately this is all too common. Smart choice not paying that price for what you were getting.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
There was another case somewhat like this on another thread. There was a really small sulcata and same here it was apearantly 3 years old. Same case.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Can you post the link to the CL ad, please? I'd like to try and find someone who can rescue this little tort, but I have no idea where it is. Thanks.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I think you did the right thing. $75 is a steep price for a possibly sick tort. I would have also offer less money or ask her to allow me to take it off her hands...but I wouldn't be able to spend $75 on it either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen this many times too. Its amazing that these animals can survive conditions that are so bad that they don't even grow, but somehow they just keep living. Can you imagine a year old Great Dane puppy that was still five pounds and the size of a chihuahua?

Josh I have about two dozen well started hatchlings for sale right now. Shoot me a PM if you want one.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
What a bummer, but good call not getting him. A malnourished 3-year sully can look like a 3-month old baby.

I recently bought a healthy hatchling from Tom. I recommend contacting him or one of the other breeders Elliott suggested.

Good luck on your search.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
The funny thing is (well not that funny really, just ironic) is that she acted like it was normal for them to grow sooo little in 3 years. Just another indicator of her lack of knowledge at raising the little guy.

shellysmom, here's the link.... http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3302597991.html

She isn't going to give him/her away, and I wouldn't trust her to set up shipping arrangements so if someone picks him up, they're gonna have to be local.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
RuthieHurry said:
I can pay and go get the tortoise tomorrow. If someone is working with the lady, lemme know.

Yay!! I've been trying to find someone in that area who can get him, but no luck. Let us know what happens!!

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
I sent the person a message from cragslist. Waiting to hear back. We hadn't planned on adding to the ones we have, but the hubby agreed on the money and the 2 1/2 hour drive. Not to mention the vet bill, lol. We had a huge expansion planned anyway, so it'll just get a third of the new space. Well, and a new house, cuz we're kinda paranoid about cooties. If the OP has a number where I can reach this lady, instead of craigslist email, that'd be awesome. Just PM me.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
RuthieHurry said:
I can pay and go get the tortoise tomorrow. If someone is working with the lady, lemme know.

Im so glad you are able to get him. Good luck! That ten gallon is horrible, I was speechless when I saw the pictures.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
I laughed and cringed at the same time! In my head, I wonder how people can look at that and think it's okay. And worth a good deal of money :( The setup without the light, maybe 30 bucks? We have a great vet in Houston that can help us with everything we need to know about this kid, though I doubt the serious problems will manifest for a couple of years.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so glad that someone here is gonna get this fella. I'm so sad to hear about this story. If the tort was on CL here in Florida, I would have tried to get him myself. I still feel that with gooooood care, this fella may turn out to be ok. RuthieHurry, you're a great person!!!

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
sibi said:
I'm so glad that someone here is gonna get this fella. I'm so sad to hear about this story. If the tort was on CL here in Florida, I would have tried to get him myself. I still feel that with gooooood care, this fella may turn out to be ok. RuthieHurry, you're a great person!!!

Less a great person and more of a sucker, maybe! Hopefully the seller answers my email.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I Freakingg love this thread. It's so heartwarming to see people reaching out like this!!! If I could, I'd go myself as well. Bless you guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.