Aggressive sulcata towards my son? Help!

rbeard09

I have had my sulcata tortoise for 7 years. I got her through a rescue and She is fun and has been a interesting addition to our family. However, I now have a 11 month old son and now that he is walking and crawling she has begun charging him, hissing, and chasing him down. It is very scary. I have not found much information on this. Is there anyone in your group that could help or provide information. Or is this a situation where she needs to go to a new home?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
No...no need to go to a new home....simply the humans need to remember that a tortoise is indeed, a tortoise. A wild critter. The human is the one that needs to be trained, or in this case, strictly monitored, until the human is steadily upright and able to understand the proper way to be around a tortoise....obviously at 11 months that is going to be ENTIRELY the duty of the adult humans that brought the tortoise into their home to begin with. There is no reason that a baby and a tortoise should be expected to "know" how to interact with one another...but it is up to the adult humans to assure the safety of both, child and tortoise, until the two are more compatible.....

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The tortoise might have mistaken your son for another animal, especially since he crawls a little? That might add to the confusion, just don't let your son go to the tortoise now, the problem might be better when he grows up :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Much easier to keep your toddler out of the tortoise's area than to try to change a wild animal's ingrained habits. Your tortoise DOES have his own area, right?

rbeard09

She has always been allowed to roam the whole property. And has never been territorial toward my other animals, children, or adults. It's very specific to my son. She will even chase me if I am holding him. I have since closed the gate between the two areas of the yard to protect my son but that has distressed her.

Last edited:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
She has always been allowed to roam the whole property. And has never been territorial toward my other animals, children, or adults. It's very specific to my son. She will even chase me if I am holding him. I have since closed the gate between the two areas of the yard to protect my son but that has distressed her.
That's really interesting. Are you the primary caregiver to your tort? And do you have other children?

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would make a sight barrier on the part of the fence that boarders your side and the torts side. This way it will be less stressful for the tort and will/should come down. I would not put the two together gain until your son is walking and a few years old. We may never know the reason for it to have happened with only this human, unless like already stated, this is the only human that has been tort level and crawling.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I also feel as though you are now not liking the tort so much....if the event has tainted your affection for the tort and you can not get past that....then you should rehome the tortoise....

rbeard09

I think it is accurate to say I am very sad and a little scared. I have landscaped the property specifically for her and have pictures of her sitting with the older kids during birthday parties and my baby shower. She has always been so social and a big part of our lives.

I hope with sight barrier she will relax about the sudden reduction in her territory and that as my son gets a little older he will stop being a target.

I am just scared an accident will happen. 75 - 100 lbs of dense matter vs 20 lbs of baby is not a good match. I need advice.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You're just going to have to keep them apart at all times for the next few years. When your son gets older then maybe he can start having a relationship with the tortoise, feeding her etc. but you were not really going to be able to teach the tortoise personal space boundaries like you can do with a dog or a horse for example. I hope it works out so that you can keep the tortoise as part of your family and keep your son safe at the same time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't imagine turning an 11 month old toddler loose with any animal and expecting things to be okay.

If you show us a pic of the area, perhaps we would have some helpful ideas about creating a dedicated tortoise area where the toddler is not allowed.

I'd hate to see you get rid of a long term animal that has been such a part of the family because it is acting in a completely normal way for its species.

Further, are you sure its a female? I have a female that has that sort of aggression, but that is typically male behavior and your tortoise is certainly at the right age to be displaying that sort of thing if it is a male. Adult male hormones might explain why you have not seen this behavior prior to now, and I don't know what size she was when you got her but 75-100 pounds would be an unusually large female, especially if she is only 7-8 years old. That is a more typical male size. Would you like to post a pic of the tail and anal scutes for us to verify the sex?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Further, are you sure its a female? I have a female that has that sort of aggression, but that is typically male behavior and your tortoise is certainly at the right age to be displaying that sort of thing if it is a male. Adult male hormones might explain why you have not seen this behavior prior to now, and I don't know what size she was when you got her but 75-100 pounds would be an unusually large female, especially if she is only 7-8 years old. That is a more typical male size. Would you like to post a pic of the tail and anal scutes for us to verify the sex?

I concur.

rbeard09

She is absolutely a female. She had been sick a few years ago and the vet told me " Mortimus the Enormous " was actually a she based on X-rays. So Tortalina is what she goes by now.

This behavior is very uncharacteristic of this individual. She has been very friendly and coexisted with other children very happily. I just don't understand why the change. And why she will also chase me if I am holding him. I have absolutely made sure my son is not at risk but it involves reducing her area which she is not happy about.

I am having trouble with her being distressed about her territory being reduced. I hope she will calm down about it soon. The wood I put up to act as a sight barrier yesterday is getting destroyed.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Destroying barriers? Would you placate us and show us the requested photos.

rbeard09

I don't know if the sex of the animal changes the dialogue much but here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm not sure why she would be 'destroying barriers'! You said she has full run of the yard, I can imagine that that's probably enough space. She could upset by your son if he cries.Also, Sulcata's are territorial animals, and so it was natural for her to be frustrated by him, since he was crawling around HER territory.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks like Tom summed it up. Thank you for the pictures, your tortoise is definitely a male. Males are generally more territorial and aggressive. Your tortoise is a very good looking fellow.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I see a male tortie, too.

I don't know why a vet would have used an Xray to confirm a female?? Unless eggs appeared..that'd I'd get. But as far as I know, there is nothing about an Xray that would indicate gender.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The first thing that I thought was, wow look at that male package.....now, if the vet took an xray and laid claim to female, could that actually have been stones spotted in the xray?

Listen, I seriously do not consider male or female the issue....I am leaning toward completely timing....I believe that the tort and the little on simply encountered one another in a transitional time...regardless of male or female, every animal comes into itself at different times...may I add, that you have done a beautiful job in the apparent care and condition of that tortoise, absolutely a lovely creature. I would understand that if you are closing in the space for the tort---expect some kick back, and understand and deal with it....I mean, your child is your child--period. I would have your sons care and safety above all.....I also know that you are dealing with a tortoise, this is a creature that while strong and tenacious....a mother demanding balance will always win....now, the question is, is your heart in this? I mean, there is no right nor wrong answer actually...but if the tort is not in your heart the same way as before the behavior change...then by all means, rehome the tortoise...there will be lots of takers, gorgeous animal....so, please find the answer in your heart and do what you feel is right....