Aggressive tortoises?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
My husband and I have been considering getting a sulcata tort. We live in Western Washington and have done LOTS of research on caring for them and believe that we can properly support their needs. The big debate is on whether to buy a young tort from a reliable breeder or to adopt. We like the idea of giving a home to a tort in need but are concerned about the trauma it could have been through. Can they become aggressive if they were mistreated? An animal that can weigh over 100 pounds could do some damage. And if it is aggressive can you tame them down?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They can become aggressive whether raised from a hatchling or adopted as an adult. They are not like dogs that can be trained to over come their aggression. With proper care and room to roam and fencing you should have a happy tort.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi. I am in Spokane, and keep a Sulcata. I got my guy as a 50 pound adult. He has never shown any aggression. I know he could at any tie. It seems to be a personality traits that they grow into. Puberty seems to trigger it sometimes. There really isn't a guarantee either way.
I will say it is tough and expensive to keep them here. While your winters are likely not as bad as mine, your summers are not as hot either, depending on where you are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My husband and I have been considering getting a sulcata tort. We live in Western Washington and have done LOTS of research on caring for them and believe that we can properly support their needs. The big debate is on whether to buy a young tort from a reliable breeder or to adopt. We like the idea of giving a home to a tort in need but are concerned about the trauma it could have been through. Can they become aggressive if they were mistreated? An animal that can weigh over 100 pounds could do some damage. And if it is aggressive can you tame them down?

Hello and welcome.

Sulcatas are not normally aggressive, except in the case of two adults males toward each other. Any sort of previous "trauma" wouldn't make them aggressive. If anything, it would make them shy and fearful. Also, in my experience, people don't usually abuse tortoises. If anything, they might be neglected and left on their own, but in a yard with good weather and shelter, that really isn't necessarily bad for a tortoise. They don't need attention the way a social animal like a dog does. As long as they have food, water and shelter, they are fine on their own.

In any case, you should be aware that most of the care info for this species out in the world is wrong. Its based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions and misunderstanding of how they live in the wild. All your research may have steered you in the wrong direction, depending on what you've found.

Here is the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Please feel free to question any of this and ask for further explanation.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Thank you for the info. I should have clarified that almost all the research I did was then cross referenced to this forum. You guys have answered so many of the questions I had on other threads. I've been reading the posts here for the last 3 months. You people are awesome!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I've raised my sulcata from a hatchling. He is now 18 years old and over 100 pounds. I wouldn't say he is ever aggressive, but he does go on rampages where he stomps around and drags the lawn furniture all over the yard, mostly because sulcatas don't go around anything - they just plow through and if a lounge chair ends up on their back, they just continue on until it eventually gets left behind. I don't know what sets him off. It has nothing to do with us because it happens when we aren't outside with him. It is like he has excess energy to use up. If you confine your sulcata to an enclosure, you won't have this issue but I do because my sulcata gets to roam my entire backyard. I also have to deal with poop on the patio, broken sprinklers and trampled plants. But I love having a dinosaur in my backyard. I love the way he runs toward me when I'm cutting a hibiscus branch for him, the way he extends his neck for rubs, the way he tries, unsuccessfully, to intimidate feral cats that invade his space, and his curiosity.

Alaskamike

South Florida
A large Sulcata tends to " own " their environment. They may try & run a cat or dog out of the yard. They also can occasionally ram at people either to get them out of there or to get food.

My big boy is only 50 lbs. but when grandkids come to visit & see him I watch closely.

I do love their personalities though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...the way he tries, unsuccessfully, to intimidate feral cats that invade his space,...
He's probably not trying to intimidate them. He's probably trying to hunt and catch them. He, like most tortoises, just isn't a very good hunter. :)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I would recommend against sulcata in your climate, they do not hibernate, where do you plan to house a small cow in the winter? I am serious, do tell:)

Bambam1989

East Texas
I would recommend against sulcata in your climate, they do not hibernate, where do you plan to house a small cow in the winter? I am serious, do tell:)
We intend to house he/ she in what was once a greenhouse. Our land was once a plant nursery before we bought it and there is a 20x40 ft building. The roof is 20 ft high and so we put in a second floor with a ramp leading up. It still needs work before it's ready for winter. We decided that we would like the wonderful experience of watching a hatchling sulcata grow up so we will have slightly more time to perfect the "tort barn". From what I have read on this forum, there are several members who live in colder climates that successfully keep giant tortoises. They just have to invest more time, work, and money on their passion. I am glad that you have the tortoises well being in mind.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
We intend to house he/ she in what was once a greenhouse. Our land was once a plant nursery before we bought it and there is a 20x40 ft building. The roof is 20 ft high and so we put in a second floor with a ramp leading up. It still needs work before it's ready for winter. We decided that we would like the wonderful experience of watching a hatchling sulcata grow up so we will have slightly more time to perfect the "tort barn". From what I have read on this forum, there are several members who live in colder climates that successfully keep giant tortoises. They just have to invest more time, work, and money on their passion. I am glad that you have the tortoises well being in mind.
by all means :) what about sunlight? walks in fresh air? just saying:) please do not get offended:) I like you and you seem to have a huge heart:) I am only advising against this breed because of so many posts on line that I come across saying the same thing: "I love my baby but i would like him or her to go to a warmer climate where they could be outside all year around as they belong" these are not my words, I live in So Cal, apparently it is hard on a large animal to be cooped up half a year in no matter how lovely of green house. and here is a personal opinion: getting a baby is even even worse, they need fresh air, sunlight and what they bring even more for a healthy start, my brother in law lives in washington, he is one pale dude, and he does not hibernate, i m just saying that perhaps sleep on it another year, I own a sulcata - they are tanks! cows! small buffalos! they can move 200 pound pot with one front paw, i have seen it:) are you ready for it? or do you want to just play with another baby and then pass it on as it sinks in - you have an alligator in your bathtub? Lol:) this is all kindly meant:) please do not think i am trying to discourage you from owning a beloved tortoise:) no:) you need one, by all means:) maybe a different breed? not the one from Africa:) maybe a Russian? I lived there:) it is way worse than in Washigton when it comes to winter, so they will happily hibernate:)
THIS IS A PERSONAL OPINION, EVERYONE, PLEASE DO NOT TEAR ME APART FOR IT! :)

Bambam1989

East Texas
by all means :) what about sunlight? walks in fresh air? just saying:) please do not get offended:) I like you and you seem to have a huge heart:) I am only advising against this breed because of so many posts on line that I come across saying the same thing: "I love my baby but i would like him or her to go to a warmer climate where they could be outside all year around as they belong" these are not my words, I live in So Cal, apparently it is hard on a large animal to be cooped up half a year in no matter how lovely of green house. and here is a personal opinion: getting a baby is even even worse, they need fresh air, sunlight and what they bring even m
Your opinion is welcome and I do not take offense and I hope no one else does either. Several people on here successfully keep sulcatas in colder climates, they have to take greater precautions and invest more time and money. I have done lots of research and have been around a few sulcatas but I know there are always variations in attitude and temperament and that's why I was asking about aggressive torts. So far no one has described the kind of aggression that I was concerned about, which is good.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
excellent then:)
Your opinion is welcome and I do not take offense and I hope no one else does either. Several people on here successfully keep sulcatas in colder climates, they have to take greater precautions and invest more time and money. I have done lots of research and have been around a few sulcatas but I know there are always variations in attitude and temperament and that's why I was asking about aggressive torts. So far no one has described the kind of aggression that I was concerned about, which is good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's an individual tortoise thing. Some are aggressive, some aren't. My sister took in a two year old sulcata who was very aggressive. He chased her to ram her. He tried to bite her. She undertook to tame him and started holding him daily. At first she did what another tortoise would do, and tipped him over. After that she would hold him on her lap and stroke his neck and head. Then she would offer him a handheld treat.

This is a BIG sulcata, much bigger than he should have been at this age. She's now had him a bit less than a year and he's settled down quite a bit, but still tries to ram her.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
It's an individual tortoise thing. Some are aggressive, some aren't. My sister took in a two year old sulcata who was very aggressive. He chased her to ram her. He tried to bite her. She undertook to tame him and started holding him daily. At first she did what another tortoise would do, and tipped him over. After that she would hold him on her lap and stroke his neck and head. Then she would offer him a handheld treat.

This is a BIG sulcata, much bigger than he should have been at this age. She's now had him a bit less than a year and he's settled down quite a bit, but still tries to ram her.
I just love this story:) my sulcata is about five and he is used to be bullied by his bro ( rescues), so he is smaller than usual and super shy, I mean he is still a baby as far as the age goes, I pet him every time i pet all others, but he still hides into the shell at the first attempt to pet his neck every time.... fortunately we have LIKE a million years to perfect our relationship:) my husband always makes fun of me every time someone reposts a video of that Japanese old guy taking his 20 year old sulcata for a walk in the city, saying that's me in 20 years:) lol:)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I just love this story:) my sulcata is about five and he is used to be bullied by his bro ( rescues), so he is smaller than usual and super shy, I mean he is still a baby as far as the age goes, I pet him every time i pet all others, but he still hides into the shell at the first attempt to pet his neck every time.... fortunately we have LIKE a million years to perfect our relationship:) my husband always makes fun of me every time someone reposts a video of that Japanese old guy taking his 20 year old sulcata for a walk in the city, saying that's me in 20 years:) lol:)
oh and good job to your sister, i am a rehab advocate and she did such a great job! natural, she sounds awesome, i am very impressed with both her willingness and her perseverance :) applause:)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
He's probably not trying to intimidate them. He's probably trying to hunt and catch them. He, like most tortoises, just isn't a very good hunter. :)
Tom, this made me laugh. However, over the past few years I have seen my sulcata bully our outdoor cat many times. It usually plays out like this:
The cat is all stretched out in a nice sunning spot. The sulcata heads straight for it. When the sulcata gets a few inches away the cat gets up and saunters a few feet away. Meanwhile, the sulcata plops down, stretches his neck out, and gets this big grin on his face. If the cat lays down again, as often she does, the sulcata will repeat the process. Usually after the second time the cat leaves the area. So far the sulcata has not treed the cat, but I keep watching for it.

I don't consider my sulcata (7-1/2 years, 85 pounds) to be aggressive. I had a parrot years ago that was aggressive and this sulcata is gentle compared to that bird. Like Alaskamike, I am cautious when strangers, especially children, come to visit.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
:eek: ...hunt and eat a CAT??!?!