Age and gender

irwm

Location (City and/or State)
istanbul
Can you tell me this hermann's tortoise's age and gender. And is his mouth ok? please help

Attachments

• 20240501_185233.jpg
    20240501_185233.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240501_185222.jpg
    20240501_185222.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Can you tell me this hermann's tortoise's age and gender. And is his mouth ok? please help
I can’t really make out what’s on their mouth in the pics.
But unless you know the hatch date it’s impossible to know the exact age, however you definitely have yourself a young hatching here, perhaps a fellow Herman owner will be able to give you a rough estimate, I’m sure they’ll be someone along soon.
As for the gender, they’re too young to tell, you’ll be able to tell once tortoise is closer to fully grown, you’ll need to post pics of their under side when that time comes🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Try and include some information on how they’re kept, ie size set up, temps, humidity, what lights and uv you are using, diet etc, pics of the enclosure would be great! It’ll make it so much easier for members to advise you on all their care😊

irwm

istanbul
I can’t really make out what’s on their mouth in the pics.
But unless you know the hatch date it’s impossible to know the exact age, however you definitely have yourself a young hatching here, perhaps a fellow Herman owner will be able to give you a rough estimate, I’m sure they’ll be someone along soon.
As for the gender, they’re too young to tell, you’ll be able to tell once tortoise is closer to fully grown, you’ll need to post pics of their under side when that time comes🙂
oh thank you so much. Can you check his mouth if i upload some detailed pics. I'm a lil worried

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
oh thank you so much. Can you check his mouth if i upload some detailed pics. I'm a lil worried
Yes absolutely! I may not be able to advise myself as I’ve never had dealings with beak issues personally, but they’ll definitely be some more experienced members along to help, so some close ups will be helpful for them😊everyone is on different time zones here so might have to wait a few hours, but you’ll be helped in no time!
The more pictures and information you can give on their husbandry the better, if there’s an issue with his beak, the info on how you’re keeping him might help a member to advise on something you possibly need to adjust to help with it, if that makes sense🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Yes, please upload a close-up photo. I guess, you are worried about white spots on the edge of his beak. Maybe it's some scales went off because of chewing something inappropriate and the white spots is the underlying bone or it can be something as simple as spots from calcium powder.

irwm

istanbul
Try and include some information on how they’re kept, ie size set up, temps, humidity, what lights and uv you are using, diet etc, pics of the enclosure would be great! It’ll make it so much easier for members to advise you on all their care
IMG_20240411_152602_1.jpg
this is his indoor enclosure i made this weeks ago actually its better now. I add coco coir and change his food and water containers. I don't have uv lamp cause two or three times a week i let him walk in sunlight. And I read that it was ok.
IMG_20240422_162058_1.jpg
i soak him every two day like this.
1000033603.jpg
i give him these kind of greens chickweed, mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves etc.

And im appreciate some advise🥰

irwm

istanbul
Yes absolutely! I may not be able to advise myself as I’ve never had dealings with beak issues personally, but they’ll definitely be some more experienced members along to help, so some close ups will be helpful for them😊everyone is on different time zones here so might have to wait a few hours, but you’ll be helped in no time!
The more pictures and information you can give on their husbandry the better, if there’s an issue with his beak, the info on how you’re keeping him might help a member to advise on something you possibly need to adjust to help with it, if that makes sense🙂
20240501_193005.jpg20240501_192907.jpg here's some close up pics

irwm

istanbul
Hello! Yes, please upload a close-up photo. I guess, you are worried about white spots on the edge of his beak. Maybe it's some scales went off because of chewing something inappropriate and the white spots is the underlying bone or it can be something as simple as spots from calcium powder.
i uploaded some close ups but i don't think its bone or calcium powder. because i didn't give him calcium powder today and spots are not there in the morning. And it doesn't looks like bone i think

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
View attachment 369921
this is his indoor enclosure i made this weeks ago actually its better now. I add coco coir and change his food and water containers. I don't have uv lamp cause two or three times a week i let him walk in sunlight. And I read that it was ok.
View attachment 369923
View attachment 369924
i give him these kind of greens chickweed, mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves etc.

They are such a little cutie pie! And that little hide thing you have is adorable!🥹one thing of note for me is the water dish, whilst size and depth is good for your little guy, that dish looks to lack any grip, people have found them to be a hazard with small torts in the event they accidentally flip, and due to the lack of grip, they’ll struggle to flip themselves back. Terracotta saucers are considered safest, one a similar size to yours will do just fine, they’re pretty cheap in garden sections🙂
Someone else will be able to answer about the UV, because we personally don’t have the climate to allow our tort daily roams in the sun, so have always opted to have uv in her enclosure. Daily hours of sun will probably be considered sufficient, I’ll let other members chime in there😊
what are your temperature and humidity levels like?

As Alex mentioned below get yourself something to measure those in the enclosure if you don’t already🙂

Welcome to the forum btw! It’s a great community here and very helpful with all things up to date tortoise care! 🐢

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
View attachment 369921
View attachment 369923
View attachment 369924

Actually, looks nice and simple. A few quick tips:
1. Hand pack coco coir so it doesn't get dusty when drying up
2. Hatchlings should be soaked daily. They dehydrate fast so it's an important routine.
3. Temperatures are important, you need a thermometer/hygrometer in the enclosure (not somewhere in the room). You can get a cheap digital one in the home goods store nearby.
4. You didn't mention a basking lamp (which gives light and heat). Do you have one? Probably, you can do without it for now - I see that the enclosure is in the sun spot and the sun is strong enough already.
5. Once you get a thermometer in the enclosure you may close the lid to maintain humidity. But you should be careful to not to overheat him.

irwm

istanbul
They are such a little cutie pie! And that little hide thing you have is adorable!🥹one thing of note for me is the water dish, whilst size and depth is good for your little guy, that dish looks to lack any grip, people have found them to be a hazard with small torts in the event they accidentally flip, and due to the lack of grip, they’ll struggle to flip themselves back. Terracotta saucers are considered safest, one a similar size to yours will do just fine, they’re pretty cheap in garden sections🙂
Someone else will be able to answer about the UV, because we personally don’t have the climate to allow our tort daily roams in the sun, so have always opted to have uv in her enclosure. Daily hours of sun will probably be considered sufficient, I’ll let other members chime in there😊
what are your temperature and humidity levels like?
the weather is very hot in my country now because of summer.(like 25-27°C on the outside and hotter in inside) i sprey his tank and him like twice a day i didn't actually measure them.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Beautyful photos!

You are right, it's not a bone and not a calcium powder. And nothing concerning, actually. Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure what is it - maybe some shedding or scabs from a cuttlebone. I think after a couple of soaks this will resolve on its own. But please, keep us updated.

irwm

istanbul
Beautyful photos!

You are right, it's not a bone and not a calcium powder. And nothing concerning, actually. Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure what is it - maybe some shedding or scabs from a cuttlebone. I think after a couple of soaks this will resolve on its own. But please, keep us updated.
thank you so much im actually very relieved 😅

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
the weather is very hot in my country now because of summer.(like 25-27°C on the outside and hotter in inside) i sprey his tank and him like twice a day i didn't actually measure them.
Try to pour water in the substrate to help with humidity. Spraying won't harm (and spraying shell is actually a good thing), but effect doesn't last for long.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’d personally recommend something to measure them in the enclosure, just so you know how much humidity the set up is retaining, does it remain open top?

I can’t quite tell myself looking at his mouth what it is either😅but I agree with Alex that it doesn’t look particularly concerning, the appearance of it looks like it’ll come away with a few soaks, almost like a flacky bit of skin to me, keep an eye, I’m sure all will be well, congrats on your baby tort!😊

irwm

istanbul
Try to pour water in the substrate to help with humidity. Spraying won't harm (and spraying shell is actually a good thing), but effect doesn't last for long.
yeah it dries pretty fast when i sprey it. I'll try pouring water tomorrow then thanks for the advises🥰

irwm

istanbul
I’d personally recommend something to measure them in the enclosure, just so you know how much humidity the set up is retaining, does it remain open top?

I can’t quite tell myself looking at his mouth what it is either😅but I agree with Alex that it doesn’t look particularly concerning, the appearance of it looks like it’ll come away with a few soaks, almost like a flacky bit of skin to me, keep an eye, I’m sure all will be well, congrats on your baby tort!😊
The top actually varies depending on the weather and the humidity in the air.

And thanks for help🥰

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
Like others have said it's hard to give a age without the hatch date but you definitely have a very cute little hatchling.

At a guess and comparing yours with mine maybe 4/5 months but that's just a pure guess.

Is there anything in her house she could be biting on to cause the marks?. I had a little panic other week when my little ones entire face was white then I realised it was from the cuttlefish she loves to nibble on 😂..