A terrible story ( i will miss my lucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well as of thursday night i had to bury my rescued tortoise Lucky. Unfortunatley my roomates evil cat got into Luckys cage nabbed him and well im not going into to details. We always keep my room door closed and that night while my girlfriend and her friend were in the room he snuck in and grabbed him right underneath their noses.

This cat is extremely intelligent and i should of had cage clips on his enclosure (but since the door is always closed i stupidly didnt think i needed them). As i was going to bed i did my nightly check to see where my tortoises are sleeping so i can point the ceramic bulb in their direction and i couldnt find lucky. I found him in the living room cold as ice and again im not going into details of his anatomical condition at that point as its painful enough to be typing this story.

The worst part was he was still alive. This next part may rub people the wrong way so i beg of you to put yourselves in my shoes and with Luckys prior history he didnt deserve any of this. The damage was extremely extensive and irreversible and non repairalbe (seriously it was bad). So i had to put him down in a way i will not describe and than gave him a proper burial. It was quick and painless i asure everyone. This was the hardest thing ive ever had to do.

I know this may seem cruel and hey why didnt you take him to a vet. It was 10:30 at night and although my roommate offered to take him to an emergency vet and pay for everything. I think Lucky had suffered enough and as i said it was REAL REAL BAD. I did not believe he needed to endure a painful car ride and than needless touching and examing to only tell me what i already knew ( he didnt need to suffer anymore). Needless to say my girlfriend and her friend/roomate (owner of the cat) were balling their eyes out. I personally am devistated as he had a special place in my heart. I feel like a terrible owner, person and overall had a very hard time sleeping that night.

I do not blame the cat as it is instinct to do what it did and i only blame myself for not being better prepared. I tell this story in hopes that people do realize that when having other animals their cages are pre-equipped to be %110 percent predator proof. At this point we are looking for a new place to live and my roomates are looking at adopting the cat out (i dont agree but dont really care we are leaving either way).

I do ask that you please try not to bash me to hard or at all as this has been very traumatic for me. LUCKY WILL BE MISSED MORE THAN YOU CAN BELIEVE.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I am very sorry for your loss.At least he is not suffering.take care,tom.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sorry for your loss, putting your animal down is one of the hardest things you have to do in life, unfortunately sometimes it is unavoidable.

i do not think you did the wrong thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry you and Lucky had to go through this. Making the decision to put an animal down is a tough one. You did what you felt you had to do.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm so sorry to read this story--I'm glad Lucky isn't in pain anymore. Best wishes in this grieving time.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's an awful thing to go through...and I am seriously surprised at the cat. I have always kept cats and tortoises and the cats are much to lofty to bother the torts...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
It's an awful thing to go through...and I am seriously surprised at the cat. I have always kept cats and tortoises and the cats are much to lofty to bother the torts...

I have a rescued hatchling RES in a 10 gallon aquarium on my bureau. My house cat is VERY interested in the turtle. If she could figure out how to get in there without getting wet, I'm sure the turtle would be toast.

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I'm so sad to hear of your loss. Remember Lucky is in a better place and you made her life better while she was with you.

Dawna

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow that's horrible. At least you know he'll be in tortoise heaven. Don't feel bad for putting him down, stuff like that is sometimes unavoiadable(like in Marley & Me).

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i thank everyone for their compassion in this time of darkness as lucky was very special to me. Those who read his story when i first had him can attest to the special bond i had with the little guy. As i said before as much as i would love to take an animal for an animal it wasnt the cats fault and was soley mine. I have no one but myself to blame. Lesson learned for me and to those that read this story. Never though i could become this attached to a tortoise but when its your passion anything is possible.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
twtraudio, losing a beloved pet though sickness is bad enough but this type of injury and then having to put him down yourself is extremely traumatic. I am deeply sorry for your loss. Please know you only did what you felt was best for Lucky, both in his enclosure and in having to put him down. And it is extremely compassionate of you to not blame the cat. But you need to not blame yourself either. We do what we can to make their lives good ones and learn from our mistakes. Take time to grieve my friend. Hugs to you.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry for your loss. I have been in the position of putting down a beloved pet myself, and I know how hard it is. I really feel that you made the right decision, and my heart goes out to you.

Kristina

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I am very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Not to sound morbid, but I have thought about stuff like this happening, and I would have done the same thing you did.

After reading your story, I know you are genuine in your pain and your compassion for your little tort.

Sincerely,

Evan

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
this is a very sad story. you are very brave to have had your tortoises better interest in mind. putting any animal down i traumatizing. i always have dreams about my tortoise getting hurt and if i was in your position, i would have had to do the same thing! you gave him a good life, i'm sure. thank you for rescuing the little guy and giving him a good home.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
sorry for your loss. My cat is very interested in the snakes, but doesn't seem to bother the tort. I keep the door closed anyways. I give the tort a year and he'll be bigger than the cat anyways!

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow i must say that when i posted this i did not expect so much support. Im a 6'1 italian tuff guy, that does mma cage fighting as a hobby and has tatoos all over my body and i must say that this has touched my heart deeply(im not bragging or anything just proving no matter who you are or appearance people still have a heart). Tortoises have become my passion and calming factor from the unfortunate things that happen in this world and i am at peace when i feed and take care of them. I thankyou all for your support and this goes to show the top notch people that are members and supporters here.

It took alot out of me not to physically hurt the cat and my roomate ( we live with another couple) who has been told time and time again to train his cat. We have child locks of almost all the cabinets cause it has an eating disorder. So anyways little more background into the story. I really appreciate it, as words cannot decribe my thanks. I will be holding off on rescuing anymore torts until we find a new house (which is surprisingly already in the works) that will be cat free and will have more room. Thank you all i bow my head in thanks and respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.