A major problem with my tortoise (pink colored organ came out))

Hello . I live in india and own a one year old female star tortoise. One day I was feeding it salad leaves (as a treat).And it wanted to urinate. It had trouble excreting and then from its tail a pink color organ came out!
I was very worried about it. Before it hadn't removed any organ or some thing. I instantly researched on it and they say it comes out in some tortoises to help in excretion. Another person also had this problem , and some one said that letting your tortoise outside as often as possible will help the digestive track. I am very scared I think most of you will tell me to go to a vet. But I live in india where there aren't any vets for tortoises!! After it has done excreting it puts it back in.I am super scared some one please help me I think it has got a disease or some thing.
This is how I keep it:

I keep it in a wooden enclosure with top soil and uvb lighting. I always soak it for 3o minutes a day, I remove it out to play in the house. Feed it properly, it gets enough sleep/rest too.
Please help me out as soon as possible because I don't want it to et worse

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He or She is flashing its sex organ. Now, some females will do this but not as common or as often as a male. If it happens again, take a picture and post it on the forum. Also, if it comes out pretty big/long then it's a male. As long as it goes back in, it's fine. If they keep it out too long, then it could be a prolapse and you will have to keep it wet and there is other things you could do, that I will get @Yvonne G to explain. If you can feed a more natural diet, it would be best. If you don't have an untreated yard for him/her to graze in, then purchase some seeds and grow your own. It can be done in shallow trays and if you do more then one of these, you will always have one to switch out when the other has been eaten. Good luck, I hope it was nothing other then a flashing.

Thanks wellington it is a female and the organ isn't long. It now comes out every time it excretes I will take a pic as soon as possible, and I will purchase some seeds and feed it fresh grass. And the organ goes inside after 45 seconds.

Hello ascott the organ that comes out isn't that bi or isn't that long or isn't black in color in is pink. And it isn't that severe and it only removes it while excretion. It goes back in after 40 seconds. And it looks similar.

Please if you know how to prevent. Please tell me before it gets worse like the video you uploaded . And remember sadly where I live there aren't any vets which know about them!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Please if you know how to prevent. Please tell me before it gets worse like the video you uploaded . And remember sadly where I live there aren't any vets which know about them!!!
Relax, yours has nothing wrong with it. The one in the video is perfectly fine as well :) This is very natural for a tortoise. We're very happy to help you my friend! Post us news about your little shelled friend :D

Hello I have kept some pictures of the organ because wellington and other members have asked for the pics.
And I am not sure if it is a male or a female I only have one star tortoise and it is hard to compare. And it doesn't come out just like that , only when it is excreting it does. And goes in after 30 seconds.
And can some one tell me what happens in a prolapse. I don't know anything.

Attachments

• 20140819_170035-1.jpg
    20140819_170035-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 170

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Looks like a male, how did you come to the conclusion that your star was a female? Also, does not look like a prolapse.

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Looks like you definitely got a boy! Congrats! Take a breath! That's his organs and it's normal! :D

Hello thanks for the video .So in a prolapse it does not go inside , but the organ of my tortoise does , and the organ it wet, but he behaves the same as the one above. I am scared is it a prolapse how can I prevent it? Does the organ come out in some male tortoises or does it happen in all male tortoises? Please tell me a way so it does not come out. Could there be any deficiencies, I am very scared and I do not want it to get worse someone please help me!!!!!!

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
The organ in the photo (and videos others posted) is his penis. It's normal for his penis to come out when he's "happy". Nothing you can do to stop this. Some do it more than others. It's nature.

zardeo70

5 Year Member
At what age will a male tortoise start "flashing?" I have a male russian I have had about 2 years and never seen this, however I am not completely sure of his age.

Sarah Ashley