A little slice of Nature...(Hermanni Hermanni)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I finally finished the new enclosure for the new additions (1.2 Sardinian Testudo Hermanni Hermanni) I figure I’ll try something a little different. I’ll just post some pictures and answer any questions people have. This way I don’t write 500% too much with info no one cares about. :)

Here it is:

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_1518397973.107997.jpg

IMG_1518397984.238678.jpg

Thanks for looking. More photos and videos on my Instagram: @theturtleisyou :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That is a beautiful buddy. How big is it and its home?

Bee62

Germany
I finally finished the new enclosure for the new additions (1.2 Sardinian Testudo Hermanni Hermanni) I figure I’ll try something a little different. I’ll just post some pictures and answer any questions people have. This way I don’t write 500% too much with info no one cares about. :)

Here it is:

View attachment 230084

View attachment 230085

View attachment 230086

View attachment 230087

View attachment 230088

View attachment 230089

Thanks for looking. More photos and videos on my Instagram: @theturtleisyou :)
This is a beautiful enclosure for your torts. Da you have a heat bulb or UVB bulb in the lamp above ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's really nice! But can they get into the spanish jar hide? And if they do, might they climb up the sides and tip over?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
It's really nice! But can they get into the spanish jar hide? And if they do, might they climb up the sides and tip over?

It is not a hide. It is too high and narrow for them to fit inside of. Regular indoor humidity is fine for the adults of this species. I do try and mist them down most mornings as they would receive coastal mist in the wild.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
This is a beautiful enclosure for your torts. Da you have a heat bulb or UVB bulb in the lamp above ?

No uvb. These tortoises spend the majority of the year outdoors and come inside only for the colder months. The lamp in the back left corner is a flood light that provides heat for the basking area.

Bee62

Germany
No uvb. These tortoises spend the majority of the year outdoors and come inside only for the colder months. The lamp in the back left corner is a flood light that provides heat for the basking area.
Okay. So they don`t brumate. My Hermanns also not brumate and live outdoors in summer.
Do your torts eat leafs of the money tree ? Do they like them ?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Okay. So they don`t brumate. My Hermanns also not brumate and live outdoors in summer.
Do your torts eat leafs of the money tree ? Do they like them ?

All of the plants I picked are edible but not the best tasting or the best textured. They’ve only been in the habitat for a few days now, but so far no problems.

Bee62

Germany
All of the plants I picked are edible but not the best tasting or the best textured. They’ve only been in the habitat for a few days now, but so far no problems.
I only asked because I have a money tree too but I am not sure to feed the leaves to my tortoises.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I only asked because I have a money tree too but I am not sure to feed the leaves to my tortoises.

You can, but they might not like it. The more common name is jade plant and it is edible.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I did this on my instagram, @theturtleisyou, so I thought I’d post these pictures here too (plus a few extras:)). Hopefully, these provide some context to how the table was built. Thanks for looking:).

IMG_3830.jpg
IMG_3838.jpg
IMG_3844.jpg
IMG_3848.jpg
IMG_3891.jpg
IMG_3893.jpg
IMG_3896.jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
IMG_3920.jpg
IMG_3952.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice enclosure! Random question - how are you going to access the curtains in front of the enclosure?

Thank you [emoji1431]. Good question haha. I think I’m going to buy one of the extendable claws that people with limited mobility use to reach.