NEW Testudo hermanni hermanni from Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I know some of you have noticed from my ads that I fell into an opportunity to start a new project and so I have been selling many of my tortoises (ibera, marginata, boettgeri and hercegovinensis). Well it's finally official and after months of paperwork, parting with animals and traveling, I have received my new animals.

These are the first of their kind in the USA and they are an adult breeding group of Western Hermann's Tortoises (Testudo hermanni hermanni) from the Spanish island of Majorca.

I can't put into words how happy I am to have these amazing little tortoises in my collection and they are something I thought I'd never get my hands on.

I took 100's of photos but only uploaded a few, and they don't do them justice at all. This locale of hermanni hermanni are known for their intense yellow coloration but the camera did not capture it.

Females:
DSC03160.jpg

DSC03166.jpg

Males:
DSC03167.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

Example of female:
DSC03163.jpg

Example of male:
DSC03171.jpg

Comparison shot with a new Spanish one on the left, an Italian in the middle and French on the right:
DSC03189.jpg

I cannot wait to see the hatchlings they'll produce next year and it's an absolute pleasure to add them to my collection of Western Hermann's. Hope you all enjoy the photos.

:)

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Wow, lucky you, Chris! I suspected you might have something like this in the offing. That Italian on in the center of the bottom picture does look almost just like the one I have.

Would love to hear how you managed this.

Dagmar

PS. Are these adult at that small size?

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congratulation, Chris. I was just thinking about asking you what project you were getting into.
Are those CB or LTC group? Either they are small or you have a big hand. LOL Are they reaching the breeding size?

Scott

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you both. Yes these are all adults and are supposedly captive born. Most T. hermanni hermanni males only reach 4" and females 5". I do have some from Tuscany and Var that are in the 6" range but they are the exception. Overall this is a very small species. These adults won't get any bigger.

Forgot to mention they are also all microchipped.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
Congrats,Chris. Those are amazing and I believe you when you say you can't wait. Me either!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow those are some mighty pretty tortoises--and such clean shiny shells! Lovely patterns!

I like the picture of the females on their backs--that top one looks completely relaxed, like she's laying out on the beach! Of course, she is from Majorca, lucky girl!;)

Congratulations.:D

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
They are amazing!!! I hope you have a great many eggs next year! Will you be selling from the first group of hatchlings or using to increase your own collection?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you. It depends on how many I get this season. I keep back a certain amount from my French and Italian groups each year and I will definitely be holding back some Spanish ones as well.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
wow.....Hermann's are really what I hope to have in the future. They are so beautiful. Keep me posted on your hatchlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.