90 lb Sulcata suddenly can't walk

sfredenburg

Our tortoise seemed fine one day then became very lathargic and unsteady when moving. Thought maybe dehydration but also realized his upper beak broke very high up, could the pain be getting him that much? He still eats most of his Mazuri and just gobbled a tomato, but can hardly lift his head. No exotic vets in my area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would make sure he is not dehydrated. Also, could he have over heated, possible heat stroke? Maybe ate something poisonous?

sfredenburg

It was really hot last week, we are in southern Louisiana, we have been giving him soaks and pedialite, but in 6 days not any better. When he walks he takes one step and goes down to rest. What are symptoms of heat stroke?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The leg weakness coupled with the broken beak tells me this tortoise is suffering from calcium deficiency. It takes a pretty long time to get those big guys back in shape with the calcium. Feed him calcium-rich foods and use a calcium powder on his food three times a week. He'll need real sunshine and plenty of water. Does he have a waterer that he can get into - his whole body?

747117wei24kafiu.gif

sfredenburg

We haven't had him too long, but about a month ago we started him on calcium powder- several times a week. He does have a waterer that he can , or will get in. We have to lift him into a baby pool, he stays a while and crushes the side to get out. Also does not drink from a bowl? What are some of the highest calcium foods I can give him? You don't think dehydration or overheating at all? I just need to get him better :( he does get as much sun early in the day as he wants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
collard, turnip and mustard greens, kale, mulberry leaves, arugula, broccoli rabe, okra and opuntia cactus

747117wei24kafiu.gif

sfredenburg

Thank you, I will get tomorrow. If it is calcium, how long before I would see improvement? Any certain ccium powder better than another?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hope he will get better soon. How come and where you to get a 90 lb Sulcata not long ago?

sfredenburg

He was a rescue. I am going to pump him up on the calcium but if anyone else has any ideas, please, i would love to hear- I will try anything!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you seen him poo? I mean, I would be watching for that....I would also offer long long soaks (like an hour or more) in a tub he CAN NOT get out of....also look in on him from time to time while soaking....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
May we see a picture of him, preferably from the side and of his face? I would stop offering him too much calcium supplement right now, especially if you are saying he is not consuming water.....Please post a pic of him.

M

Maggie Cummings

Find out what his previous life was like. What did they feed him? If it were me I'd be looking for a Vet, no matter how far I had to go. Also, do you know know how to give sub q fluids? He's sick and REALLY needs a Vet.
He also need dark leafy green, not veggies...

sfredenburg

Thanks all, I will post pics as soon as I get home, I think I have found a vet, now just have to get off work and get him there. I cannot lift him alone.! Picking up dark greens now.

sfredenburg

Ok, here are some pics of him, he is soaking in the pool right now. The ref stuff on his face is tomato- only thing he would eat. And you can see his beak broken very high. Unfortunately I cannot get any info on his life prior to me. I have been in touch with some vets, waiting on another to call me back. Worst case I can bring him to LSU on Saturday. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404861645.107642.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404861672.901244.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404861686.918737.jpg

sfredenburg

He just ate a big bowl of Mazuri soaked in water- yay! At least something in his belly with some moisture.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He does look pretty good, but based on his shell shape, I suspect he was not getting the best diet, he is pretty smooth overall, but the top raised like that, makes me suspect diet as his major problem. He should go see a vet, so a hands on diagnosis can be done.

sfredenburg

Brutus went to the vet yesterday, had a load of blood work done- all good ( liver, kidneys, calcium, phosphate, red and white blood cells) no internal infection, no parasites. Looks like he may have injured his front leg and broke his beak at the same time- trying to climb a board -we think. Not dehydrated, overall very healthy. Did X-ray but machine not large enough to get the shoulder where we think the problem is. Going to wait it out a few days. The good news- no dehy, no calcium def, no heat stroke :)