300 gallon outdoor pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredder

5 Year Member
So I've finally converted a couple of my turtles into the pond. I can expect They're growth to slow down since they're metabolism won't be as high with the water temperature difference. My caramel (E.T) & dbt (Blizz) have been moved in. They seem a little shy right now I'm guessing just not used to they're new enclosure yet, I'm thinking they'll get used to it in a couple weeks or so maybe less who knows,I do see tht they're swimming around exploring the bottom alot so far. Anyway here's some pics, the ponds not as nice as the tank visually unfortunately but ill get it nice & perdy like soon. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193275.759679.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193308.660987.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193332.361836.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193350.712714.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193389.362487.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193417.824157.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367193468.481434.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Pond looks great. I'm sure they will enjoy the pond a lot more when those hyacinth start taking off and providing more cover for them.

Where are you located? I wish it was warm enough to put my sliders out, but I don't anticipate that or another month or so.

What's up with the normal appearing slider? Is that a het?

Thanks for sharing all of this with us :)

Shredder

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
Wow,wow,and wow! I'm green with envy ;-)

Thank you!

Anthony P said:
Pond looks great. I'm sure they will enjoy the pond a lot more when those hyacinth start taking off and providing more cover for them.

Where are you located? I wish it was warm enough to put my sliders out, but I don't anticipate that or another month or so.

What's up with the normal appearing slider? Is that a het?

Thanks for sharing all of this with us :)

Thanks! No that's a normal slider I took in for a friend,would be nice if it was an het ha ha but def not. I ended up getting my hyacinths when it was winter (got them cheap) and since then been kind of struggling with keeping them alive lol left them out in the cold & forgot to bring them in. Anyway they have made a comeback & look better each day, I'm hopeing they cover the a majority of the tank eventually. It keeps getting hotter here ,perks of living in a southern state

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I can get over bow beautiful your turtles are. When I first saw these species, I always thought they looked fake. I mean, they are so cartoon looking to me. I think they're great. Good job with the pond.

Shredder

5 Year Member
sibi said:
I can get over bow beautiful your turtles are. When I first saw these species, I always thought they looked fake. I mean, they are so cartoon looking to me. I think they're great. Good job with the pond.

Thank you! I agree they do kind of look a toy ,especially when small lol. A friend had said they looked kind of like alien turtles or something so I named her E.T ha ha

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
That looks just perfect, I hope to do one indoors alot like this soon.... trick with be to get the hyacins to grow well indoors. You have amazing stock and care :) Congrats

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
very nice big pond you got there:) what kind of turtle is that? the one with the bluish head and flippers.... really amazing colour.......

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Your DBT are so cool. I love them most... And love to see the new pond as well. How big are the DBT-s?

Shredder

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
Your DBT are so cool. I love them most... And love to see the new pond as well. How big are the DBT-s?

Thanks! I've actually had the pond for quite awhile just never really show it off, my oldest dbt is 5" 1/2 & the youngest is about 4".

shanu303 said:
very nice big pond you got there:) what kind of turtle is that? the one with the bluish head and flippers.... really amazing colour.......

Thank you! The blue ones are diamondback terrapins (blue concentrics)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think that pond is just perfect, and I love the log. Where I live we have large ponds in the woods and you can always see a few turtles sitting on a floating log. You pond looks very natural.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
If those hyacinths are making a comeback, you will probably need to take plants out of the pond periodically. It grows so fast that it will quickly cover everything.

Two years ago, even in my cold climate, I had to empty half of my hyacinth and water lettuce three times, but last year, I didn't have as much success, and I couldn't get any to live :-(

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Are you using fresh water or slightly brackish wateR with the diamondbacks being in there. I here mixed stories on what to keep them on for CB.

Shredder

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
Are you using fresh water or slightly brackish wateR with the diamondbacks being in there. I here mixed stories on what to keep them on for CB.
Fresh water ,I dont go brackish since I have a mixed group of turtles.I don't have any reason to change to brackish anyway my dbts have always thrived in fresh with no fungus. I've guy a few friends that have had some trouble with they're dbts having fungus though & are getting some products to kill fungus. If te products don't work they're going brackish as a fail safe. There's mixed debate on whether or not the captive bred dbts do better in fresh or brackish with mixed results. I hear its better for them & prevents fungus but then again I've heard that some have died from it since they were introduced or born into fresh water 1st. All depends on what the owner wants to do and whether or not they want to take the chance. I'd do it as a last resort to combat fungus if all else fails that's just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.