2015 Rescues #34, 35,36

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid we're fighting a losing battle. If only we could reach the pet stores and the pet store suppliers. That's where the battle should be fought, not the person that buys this stuff.

Today's rescues came with all the supplies the homeowner had for them. These tortoises lived indoors. There are three sets of lights, so I'm assuming there were three habitats. Today I got my first first-hand look at one of those famous tort tables we're always talking about. Seeing it in person, it's really a pretty good size (for a hatchling to yearling). Here are a couple pictures of the supplies that came with the animals:

2015 Rescue #34, 35, 36 a.jpg 2015 Rescue #34, 35, 36 b.jpg 2015 Rescue #34, 35, 36 d.jpg 2015 Rescue #34, 35, 36 e.jpg 2015 Rescue #34, 35, 36 f.jpg

You all know how I feel about the double dome light fixtures, the compact fluorescent bulbs and the lizard/snake bowls/waterers.

The substrate was good - coco coir and coco husk pebbles. There's an under-the-tank heater still in the package, and several jars, bottles of calcium, mineral and shell shine. From the looks of all the supplies, this tortoise-keeper really did try to do the right thing by her animals. The trouble is, she was given bad advice.

Rescue #34 - sulcata. Looks to be male because of the tail size. Has a bit of pyramiding, but not terribly bad. Because of his size, this guy was given some outside time, which is probably his saving grace:

2015 Rescue #34 a.jpg 2015 Rescue #34 b.jpg

Rescue #35 - Male Russian In pretty good shape. Beak is starting to grow long. Probably hasn't been in captivity very long (Pesky Russian tortoises - won't stay still long enough for a good picture):

2015 Rescue #35 a.jpg 2015 Rescue #35 b.jpg

And last but not least, #36 - a 3 toe box turtle. Because of the MBD I'm not able to tell sex by the size of the tail. MBD box turtles have little stumpy tails that point to the sky. His plastron is terribly misshapen, as you can see in the first picture. The front of the plastron is about an inch thick:

2015 Rescue #36 a.jpg 2015 Rescue #36 b.jpg

After a two week quarantine period, during which I check them out and make sure they eat, etc. these guys will be ready for anyone in my geographical area to adopt. No fee.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Dang. In the 30's now??? There must have been a lot of them water turtles

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Poor things! You are going to busy this weekend, not that your not already!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where are all those pond turtles go?? in your pond??:eek::eek::eek: How you going to fish them out for adoption?

I can't adopt them out. California regulations state that the 'limit' (as in fishing limits) for pond turtles is zero. So no one can have a pond turtle. I have an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Department of Fish and Wildlife allowing me to rehab them then return them to the wild. They have given me special areas where I can release them.

So, while they are in my care, and I'm deciding how to make them adapt to being wild turtles, I make use of horse troughs (not my favorite thing).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I can't adopt them out. California regulations state that the 'limit' (as in fishing limits) for pond turtles is zero. So no one can have a pond turtle. I have an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Department of Fish and Wildlife allowing me to rehab them then return them to the wild. They have given me special areas where I can release them.

So, while they are in my care, and I'm deciding how to make them adapt to being wild turtles, I make use of horse troughs (not my favorite thing).
Got it! ! ! !

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Hope you are able to find good homes for them! I have a lot of respect for the things you do to help all these shelled critters.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides the poor condition the rescues are usually in, it's also very sad the amount of money they seem to spend to do the right thing, just to have it be all wrong.

Yes, the supplies that came with these rescues must have cost in the hundreds of dollars. Bowls that tortoises can't use, wrong lights, almost every kind of supplement and topical one can buy in a spray bottle or a jar. Even a couple of books. It just goes to show that this person's heart was in the right place. She really tried to do the best for her animals.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, the supplies that came with these rescues must have cost in the hundreds of dollars. Bowls that tortoises can't use, wrong lights, almost every kind of supplement and topical one can buy in a spray bottle or a jar. Even a couple of books. It just goes to show that this person's heart was in the right place. She really tried to do the best for her animals.
There is so much wrong information out there. Sometimes it is so frustrating but you have to remember that they tried to do the right thing and only follow the information they found. I did the same thing. I had some things right but I had many things wrong. Sometimes I think on this for him I as well as other people tend to jump on people pretty hard and forget what it was like when we were new and didn't know better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And once it's bought and set up, you never ever have another chance to know if you've done it right or not. (Unless you happen to find the Forum or a friend who knows more than you)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The incentive isn't there for the pet stores to give the right information even if they know it. They want to make money and sell all the stuff to the people. Although they could still make a lot of money if they sold the right stuff they just haven't made the switch. Too much pressure to sell the bad stuff. When I think of all the wrong stuff I bought and either use briefly or never used it disgusts me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for thinking of me. I get phone calls all the time from folks looking for animal places to volunteer their time. I'm such a small operation, that there's really nothing anyone can help me with. I have two big projects - cleaning out the two pond filters - that I'd like help with, but I'm procrastinating right now.

mike rowlett

Yvonne. This is Mike in tex are u in Cal I would b glad to take them and maybe split the shipping fee thanks Mike tx