13 TICKS & COUNTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
AnthonyC said:
chairman--No, I haven't tried garlic. Don't ask me why, but I was under the impression that garlic wasn't good for dogs. I wouldn't even know where to purchase sulfur. Is it safe for dogs? Is it safe for torts?
It's funny that you mention that you never had problems with ticks in the past. I've lived in the same area my entire life and we never did either until around 1996. As kids we used to rake the leaves into a pile and jump in them, but I sure as hell wouldn't do that now. There's a lot of woods behind my parent's house, and we used to play back there all the time, and we'd come out w/no ticks, but now the place is infested. What the heck happened???

You would be correct. Garlic is toxic for dogs.

Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions have higher amounts of thiosulphate. Pets affected by thiosulphate toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body. Symptoms include Hemolytic Anemia, labored breathing, liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, discolored urine. The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the thiosulphate. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you Neltharion for that extremely useful information...

And thank YOU Steph for trying to kill my dogs!!!

:D:D:D... I'm just kidding! I really DO appreciate you taking the time to send me all of that information. That was very nice! :):)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I've used this thing called Revolution... on my cats I know its different but I just thought I should throw it out there. It worked wonders for my cats... in terms of fleas and earmites. Just wondering if you've tried it for your dogs? Also yeah onion and garlic is pretty toxic for cats as well.. does the same thing with the blood hehe.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm pretty sure that I've used Revolution for heart worm prevention, but not for ticks. Is it supposed to be effective for them too?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
AnthonyC said:
I'm pretty sure that I've used Revolution for heart worm prevention, but not for ticks. Is it supposed to be effective for them too?

Yeah its one of those things that treat fleas, tick, worms, and other things hehe. I was just astonished how fast it treated the earmites and fleas.. it was literally a day later and it was all gone.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
AnthonyC said:

:D:D:D... I'm just kidding! I really DO appreciate you taking the time to send me all of that information. That was very nice! :):)

I didn't say do what it said, I merely found some things out and sent you the advice!

My dog loves garlic, especially garlic bread! He's fine and not affected in anyway. He only gets it in small quantities but he loves it!
To be fair hes the same with chocolate and i've known dogs drop dead from eating chocolate.
Secretly he is a human in disguise.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
"Secretly he is a human in disguise."--Hey just like Jacqui!!! :D:D

stephiiberrybean said:
AnthonyC said:

I didn't say do what it said, I merely found some things out and sent you the advice!

My dog loves garlic, especially garlic bread! He's fine and not affected in anyway. He only gets it in small quantities but he loves it!
To be fair hes the same with chocolate and i've known dogs drop dead from eating chocolate.
Secretly he is a human in disguise.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You guys need some sort of mental health intervention... Loonies :D

Anthony, here is the recipe that Jeff mentioned. It works really well, I have been using it for a couple of months now.

In fact, my cats have a habit of sleeping on top of the Hingeback enclosure. I noticed a few fleas in the leaf litter. So, I sprayed it down with my flea remedy, and next day, no more fleas ;)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
What scares me, Kristina, is that she hasn't "fired back" in a while. This can only mean 1 thing... she's planning something BIG!!

I'm not sure if you're going to PM the recipe or if you're having a "Jacqui moment", but I don't see the ingredients listed anywhere! ;)

Kristina said:
You guys need some sort of mental health intervention... Loonies :D

Anthony, here is the recipe that Jeff mentioned. It works really well, I have been using it for a couple of months now.

In fact, my cats have a habit of sleeping on top of the Hingeback enclosure. I noticed a few fleas in the leaf litter. So, I sprayed it down with my flea remedy, and next day, no more fleas ;)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I wanted to share a quick story with all of you...

I called my mother this morning to tell her about Kristina's recipe for tick prevention & here is the gist of the conversation:

ME: Mom, I've pulled a ton of ticks off the dogs this week, so a member of the Tortoise Forum told me about a recipe for dogs.
MOM: Why? Are you planning on cooking them?
ME: What?
MOM: You know... having hot dogs for dinner.
ME: Forgot to take you medication I see!
MOM: Don't you have some young minds to corrupt? Goodbyyye, Anthony!

*AND YOU GUYS WONDER WHY I'M NUTS* :rolleyes::rolleyes:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
RE: 13 TICKS & COUNTING!

Wow... thanks a lot, Jacqui... ahem... I mean Tyler!!! ;)

tyler0912 said:
Like mother like daughter... i meen son! :rolleyes:

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
AnthonyC said:
Wow... thanks a lot, Jacqui... ahem... I mean Tyler!!! ;)

tyler0912 said:
Like mother like daughter... i meen son! :rolleyes:

Tyler is a male/female name youknow...as you stated....
Jacqui is very lady like! *COUGH COUGH*
Try say that with a straight face ;)
She is not replying to your abuse, she is cooking something up!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Check with your vet for a product called Certifect, it is new on the market. I recently gave several doses to a friend that has two dogs that were covered in ticks from running in the Southeast Texas woods and when I went back a week later,,,,,not a single tick on either dog, and they were covered when I put the product on them. It is a "spot on" product like Frontline and Revolution. As for the Revolution, it's a great product for cats and exotics, i have seen many heartworm prevention failures over the years in dogs, so would not recommend that product in this case.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
exoticsdr said:
Check with your vet for a product called Certifect, it is new on the market.

When I took a feral cat/kitten in a week ago with a broken leg, my Vet commented on that product. The cat had a lot of fleas (imagine that :rolleyes: ). Unfortunately since the animal had to be knocked out for us to even work with her, he did not want to use it. With your added comments, sound like something to further check into.

Of course, now that I looked it up, it says it's only for dogs??? hmmm

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks, Doc! Appreciate it! :)

exoticsdr said:
Check with your vet for a product called Certifect, it is new on the market. I recently gave several doses to a friend that has two dogs that were covered in ticks from running in the Southeast Texas woods and when I went back a week later,,,,,not a single tick on either dog, and they were covered when I put the product on them. It is a "spot on" product like Frontline and Revolution. As for the Revolution, it's a great product for cats and exotics, i have seen many heartworm prevention failures over the years in dogs, so would not recommend that product in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.