13 TICKS & COUNTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
So within the last 24hrs I've removed 7 ticks off of Autumn's head, 4 off of Bella's head, and 2 of the engorged bastards out of Jeter's ear! Since I already have Lyme Disease it really doesn't bother me or freak me out to do it, but it's WTH!!! Enough is enough! I've tried all of the Vet recommended preventatives and suggestions.... BIG $$$... and they don't even work! Does anyone have any home remedies????? HELP!!!

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have a place up north deep in the woods.. And my dogs use to always pick up a few almost daily.. So I started spraying the grass and the woods once a month...and it's been 3yrs tick free..

Im sure you've tried advantik...have you tried the heavy duty tick collars..sold at some vet hospitals...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Only advise I have is to keep your area mowed, then keep the dogs out of the tall weeds and trees. I would much rather deal with ticks, then fleas.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, so sorry you have to deal with that many ticks. i live by the swamp , so we get it all. yellow jacket crawling around acting crazy here in ct. a good cold spell is the only way out nasty bugs.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Yup I've tried all of those things (Advantix, etc), but nothing seems to work. The lawn was cut yesterday so I thought that maybe that's what got them all stirred up. Add to that the fact that 1/2 the lawn is covered with fallen leaves so they have tons of places to hide. One problem is that they're dachshunds, and their bodies are mere cm's above the ground. Grrr....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You could buy them little booties with lifts in them... just sayin' :D

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Wow Jacqui why didn't I think of that! I'm gonna give you a booty lift!! Haha! :D:D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Weiner dogs..your options are limited..I'm surprised you even used advantik with all the bad press they have gotten about the small dogs suffering neurological problems..But if your torts don't graze that part of the yard you can use the yard spray..I can tell you the lawn spray does work..

You could try diamateous <(sp?) earth.... Or spray the perimeter of the yard and keep them at bay..

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Honestly I didn't hear anything about it being bad for small dogs, in fact I bought it from the vet... freakin' jackass! I thought about spraying but it's not worth the risk. I want my Sullies to do a lot of grazing next spring/summer so kinda out of the question. I did hear that d.e. works, but I haven't looked into it too much. I also heard that if you buy a few guinea hens they really do wonders with tick control.

Tony the tank said:
Weiner dogs..your options are limited..I'm surprised you even used advantik with all the bad press they have gotten about the small dogs suffering neurological problems..But if your torts don't graze that part of the yard you can use the yard spray..I can tell you the lawn spray does work..

You could try diamateous <(sp?) earth.... Or spray the perimeter of the yard and keep them at bay..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I hate ticks, I adopted a dog once that had them, didnt let him in the house tell i got them all off...

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I mixed up some all natural stuff that Kristina gave me the recipe for.It has lemon,rosemary,cloves and other stuff.Works really well.My wife filed the recipe away and she's in the bed.Maybe Kristina will see this and post the recipe.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks, Jack! I bought some store bought stuff 1x and it sounds kinda like what you're describing. It was some kind of "natural" tick drops; the kind you put between the shoulder blades and down the back. I don't really remember if it worked but it smelled nice... BONUS!!!

jackrat said:
I mixed up some all natural stuff that Kristina gave me the recipe for.It has lemon,rosemary,cloves and other stuff.Works really well.My wife filed the recipe away and she's in the bed.Maybe Kristina will see this and post the recipe.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Actually we went all summer reletively flea and tick free.

We bathed the dogs and cats monthly with a homemade lemon shampoo (Made with dawn dish soap and boiled lemon peels). Their hair was silky smooth and easy to brush. The dogs loved it, the cats did not like it whatsoever.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I was thinking the food grade DEarth as well....Guinea Hens ROCK...also PeaCocks are rockin in the insect control....the Guinea Hens however will not disturb the flowers and pretty garden sections as they can pluck a bug like nothing I have ever seen....they can get the bug straight off a flower pedal and it never even move....fricken sweet...But Anthony, if you are sensitive to an audio ruckus....they may not bee the pest control you seek (the peacock either) although I find it fun and amusing the sounds that they each make....
:D

Jacqui can not have any booty lifts, no surgery....didn't you hear? she is pregnant :D

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
AnthonyC said:
So within the last 24hrs I've removed 7 ticks off of Autumn's head, 4 off of Bella's head, and 2 of the engorged bastards out of Jeter's ear! Since I already have Lyme Disease it really doesn't bother me or freak me out to do it, but it's WTH!!! Enough is enough! I've tried all of the Vet recommended preventatives and suggestions.... BIG $$$... and they don't even work! Does anyone have any home remedies????? HELP!!!

One last thing.......
Watch your language , your a bad example to me ;)
SHH...I wont tell!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tyler0912 said:
AnthonyC said:

One last thing.......
SHH...I wont tell!
Watch if for what? The closest thing I see is WTH (What The Heck) and that is not bad language for a child. :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
One last thing.......
SHH...I wont tell!
Watch if for what? The closest thing I see is WTH (What The Heck) and that is not bad language for a child. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

"Engorged Bastards"

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
One last thing.......
SHH...I wont tell!

"Engorged Bastards"

[/quote]

What Yvonne said.... :rolleyes:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tyler0912 said:
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
One last thing.......
SHH...I wont tell!

"Engorged Bastards"
[/quote]
Tyler! Watch your language, there are adults in here! :D Okay, It wasn't in your quoted part when you made the comment about it, so it confused my simple mind. You right, he does need to watch his language.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Jacqui said:
tyler0912 said:
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
One last thing.......
SHH...I wont tell!

"Engorged Bastards"
Tyler! Watch your language, there are adults in here! :D Okay, It wasn't in your quoted part when you made the comment about it, so it confused my simple mind. You right, he does need to watch his language.

[/quote]

Dont want him learning me any naughty words ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.