13 TICKS & COUNTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Tyler is absolutely right! That was totally uncalled for. MY BAD! I just HATE those "BUGGERS"! I've had Lyme disease since 1997. Apparently I was bit by an tick in the fall of '96 & didn't know it; never saw a bullseye, no redness, didn't feel the bite. It went undiagnosed for months, and the symptoms worsened. Eventually I was having joint pain, memory loss, fever, dementia type symptoms, Bell's Palsy. I've spent a few summers with an i.v. stuck in my arm, and still get bouts of Bell's Palsy. I still have to take a sweet cocktail of doxycycline (allergic to penicillin), zovirax (bells/lyme is a virus), and prednisone usually with the change of the seasons. Since it went undiagnosed for so long I ended up with a chronic case of it. Argh... I could go on & on w/horror stories... bottom line Sorry TFO (and Tyler in particuliar). I just HATE those damn things!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very understandable. So when you grow up (like that is possible :D), will you get better? Or is this level going to be constant, until the day (in the far far future) you die?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
AnthonyC said:
Tyler is absolutely right! That was totally uncalled for. MY BAD! I just HATE those "BUGGERS"! I've had Lyme disease since 1997. Apparently I was bit by an tick in the fall of '96 & didn't know it; never saw a bullseye, no redness, didn't feel the bite. It went undiagnosed for months, and the symptoms worsened. Eventually I was having joint pain, memory loss, fever, dementia type symptoms, Bell's Palsy. I've spent a few summers with an i.v. stuck in my arm, and still get bouts of Bell's Palsy. I still have to take a sweet cocktail of doxycycline (allergic to penicillin), zovirax (bells/lyme is a virus), and prednisone usually with the change of the seasons. Since it went undiagnosed for so long I ended up with a chronic case of it. Argh... I could go on & on w/horror stories... bottom line Sorry TFO (and Tyler in particuliar). I just HATE those damn things!!!

Hmh.....
Dont know if i should accept the apology...might make you suffer! ;)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Everyone needs to stop getting offended so easily or stop blowing things out of proportion...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
AnthonyC said:

Rob had spinal meningitis and bell's palsy from Lyme Disease. He had a pic line in his arm for over a year. :( Have you ever heard the conspiracy that they were created as bio-war agent's on Plumb Island?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
No, I'll have it forever. Honestly, and I'm not trying to sound like a martyr here, I could have something much much worse so I consider myself to be lucky. I went to the Boston Lyme Clinic (where it was finally diagnosed) in 1997 & they let me look at a slide of my blood... pretty cool stuff actually. They showed me where it had "corkscrewed" itself into my blood cells. I guess what happens is that it screws itself into a cell kinda like a corkscrew winds into a cork in a wine bottle. I believe it was called a spirochete, but I may be wrong. Interesting stuff! So I actually have all these little critters in my blood... That would explain all the little voices in my head... "JACQUI REDRUM! JACQUI REDRUM!"

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
all this bug talk is making my skin crawl.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AnthonyC said:

I have been known to be nice...twice...okay maybe it was only that one time. :rolleyes: :D

Pretty soon a Mod should come along and remind us to stay on topic...wait! I am a Mod. :rolleyes: Okay people let's get back on to topic, please!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
dalano73 said:
Everyone needs to stop getting offended so easily or stop blowing things out of proportion...

You do know where joking with anthony...right....
?
And he knows that! :p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
tyler0912 said:
dalano73 said:

You do know where joking with anthony...right....
?
And he knows that! :p

Not everyone will know that your joking...

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I'll try to stay on topic... have you tried adding garlic to your dogs' food? Doesn't do anything for their breath, but it is supposed to be good for the coat and cause the dog to be taste bad to ticks and fleas. Short anecdote with my dog/garlic experience, please bear with me... Growing up, every Thursday night was pasta night. My dog ate pasta with us, we cooked extra for him. He wouldn't eat the pasta until we had added marinara sauce to it, which was homemade and generally contained a fair amount of garlic. Our dog never had problems with ticks, and I don't recall that we did anything else chemical-wise to prevent them.

Another solution, this one for the yard, you can spread sulphur on your yard. It is supposed to deter insects and I am unaware of any issues you'd have with it unless you apply it too heavily, in which case I believe that it can become an irritant.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Erin--No I've never heard of that conspiracy theory before. Interesting! Rob was VERY lucky!!! That is serious business!

Dmarcus--It's cool. Tyler knows that if he gets out of line I'll fly over there and straighten him out!

chairman--No, I haven't tried garlic. Don't ask me why, but I was under the impression that garlic wasn't good for dogs. I wouldn't even know where to purchase sulfur. Is it safe for dogs? Is it safe for torts?
It's funny that you mention that you never had problems with ticks in the past. I've lived in the same area my entire life and we never did either until around 1996. As kids we used to rake the leaves into a pile and jump in them, but I sure as hell wouldn't do that now. There's a lot of woods behind my parent's house, and we used to play back there all the time, and we'd come out w/no ticks, but now the place is infested. What the heck happened???

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
AnthonyC said:
Erin--No I've never heard of that conspiracy theory before. Interesting! Rob was VERY lucky!!! That is serious business!

Dmarcus--It's cool. Tyler knows that if he gets out of line I'll fly over there and straighten him out!

chairman--No, I haven't tried garlic. Don't ask me why, but I was under the impression that garlic wasn't good for dogs. I wouldn't even know where to purchase sulfur. Is it safe for dogs? Is it safe for torts?
It's funny that you mention that you never had problems with ticks in the past. I've lived in the same area my entire life and we never did either until around 1996. As kids we used to rake the leaves into a pile and jump in them, but I sure as hell wouldn't do that now. There's a lot of woods behind my parent's house, and we used to play back there all the time, and we'd come out w/no ticks, but now the place is infested. What the heck happened???

My thugs will fly over to you before you get chance to cook your plane ticket....
I have contacts you see.....
This makes me sound like a proper bad besty guy....im not really like this it is ever since i started to speak to anthony! ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, let's get back to ticks.... the kinds on dogs. :cool:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
:DI think they are nasty and hate when I've had to remove them in the past...:D

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
One of our dogs gets them sometimes.
I get them off and then put them in nail polish remover and watch them die!
Does that make me sadistic?

Funnily enough I've never had any ticks on the horses!

Garlic might work! I feed it to the horses to keep their coats nice. It also helps with horses blood and keeps flies away in summer :)
In winter they get 1 scoop a day and in summer they get 2! :)
Never heard about using it for dogs but you could try it? Just go and get some of the granules that we feed the horses and put them in. Chinese garlic is the best :)

Just found this, might be of help
Dietary additions for boosting immunity and repelling bugs:

** A half teaspoon of nutritional brewer's yeast daily can provide the B complex vitamins a dog needs. Dr. Michael Fox has recommended brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast (but not baker's yeast), giving 1 teaspoon per 30 pounds of body weight mixed with the animal's food.

** B complex vitamins - 50 mg once a day for cats and smaller dogs, and twice daily for larger dogs.

** Use Omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplements.

** Add a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to the dog's water bowl.

** Add .a teaspoon each of safflower oil and powdered kelp or seaweed to the food bowl.

** Fresh garlic in small quantities can help repel fleas by making the animal taste unpleasant to fleas. Grate a small amount of fresh, raw garlic into your pet's food at mealtime, about one-half to 3 chambers of the clove (chamber, not a whole clove) depending on the animal's size. One vet recommends one crushed clove of garlic (not a whole bulb; a clove is just one chamber) per every 30 pounds. Some holistic health practitioners recommend heating the garlic for easier digestion, and to not to give them garlic every day.

Natural ingredient-based sprays, lotions, shampoos:

* Several useful, relatively gentle flea shampoos to help rid fleas. Avoid shampoos with insecticides, since the chemicals can be harsh. If your dog has fleas, use a gentle shampoo containing pyrethrin, pyrethrum or citrus oil. See the Robin's Dog Tip about Bathing for bathing and grooming details.

* When bathing your pet, you can use apple cider vinegar to rinse his or her fur. Fleas don't like the smell or taste.

* Lavender, peppermint and geranium essential oils repel mosquitoes. Lavender, lemongrass and geranium repel ticks. And lavender, lemongrass, peppermint and citronella repel fleas. Dab oils between the dog's shoulder blades. As you can see, lavender (which also repels flies) is particularly versatile. Other effective natural repellents include lemon, cedar, eucalyptus, myrrh, neem and rosewood

* Put a drop of lemon oil or rosemary oil on the dog's collar.

* A safe, easy homemade flea repellent: cut 6 lemons in half, boil in a quart of water, steep a few hours, then strain the solution into a spray bottle. Spritz your pet's fur, taking care not to spray near the eyes.
Don't spray anything in a dog's face; apply spray to the hand and then rub it on the fur.

* Another gentle homemade flea spray: dilute a flower-scented shampoo, such as the type available from ihelppets.com, in water and spray liberally, or rub into the coat and let air-dry.

* One inexpensive over-the-counter choice for dogs and cats is Gentle Touch drops. Gentle Touch is a spot on that is all natural and free of chemicals and petroleum solvents.

* Bothered by flies? Pyrethrin-based sprays and ointments are relatively safe and effective.

* You can find many natural products for flea and tick control on the internet, including:
www.preciouspets.org/fleafree.htm
www.greenpet.com.au/article_fleas.php

* Animal Essentials, Green Hope Essences and Vetriscience are among many companies that make products designed to boost the immune system and help heal the skin.

* Quantum's 100% Natural Herbal Skin Conditioning Spray repels ticks and fleas, we're told, by a reader who gets it at her local health food store. Ingredients include essential oils such as rose geranium, eucalyptus and tree tea, extracts of St. John's Wort, Rue, neem, wormwood, basil and black walnut hulls. www.quantumherbalproducts.com/Catalog/herbs.cgi/1045
from - http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_InsectPrevention.php

Status
Not open for further replies.