10 Gallon or 20 Gallon?

VTA Cat

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone,

Rose (formerly of Save Our Hatchling) is now 5 months old. She hatched November 5, 2016 and weighed 5.66 grams. She's tipping the scales at 28 grams and seems to eat all the time :). Loves rollie-polly bugs, earthworms, cantaloupe, and apples. Her bugs get coated in calcium and she uses the cuttlebone piece.

Our question is...when should we consider a larger home. She is in an aquarium with a screened top because she lives with 4 cats. The warm end of her home stays about 80 degrees and the cooler end (with her hide) is about 70-74 degrees.

Also, what kind of live plant could we add?

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

Attachments

• Apr082017.jpg
    Apr082017.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a plastic tote box, a large one. It's cheaper and will last longer until she can have a nice outdoor enclosure.
If you really want to buy another aquarium, make it at least a 40-50 breeding tank. They are longer giving more floor space which is what is needed. 10-20 is too small

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I raised my box turtles as hatchlings in 20 longs then moved to 40 breeder. Then to adult enclosure. I already had spare 20 longs and 40 breeders though. If i did not I'd go with the advice above. A 50 gallon rubbermaid bin is less than $20 and offers the same floor space as a 40 breeder. Thinking to when my boxies were that age and size though, a 20 long is enough room for a while if you already have one on hand. A 10 gallon is too small so scrap that idea.

VTA Cat

Southern California
Could you send pictures or links with sample tote set ups? Everyone's been so helpful. Thanks, again, for your time.--CM