Yay....we got a new pool (pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We like to play in the pool together.......our old one was getting too small so we upgraded to a 5ft pool today :) Skipper 40lbs and Buddy 27lbs.
309771_2449263229318_1184090655_3064284_892123899_n.jpg

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thank you. No they have never tried to fight. They are brother and sister (I think I have a male and female haha) I have had them since they were hatchlings....it will be 4 years in a month. They get along great. I have never seen them bite at the sea creatures. This is their second pool like this though so they may just be used to it. I plan on making a much nicer water hole for them when I figure out what to do exactly.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
tiff3grl said:
Thank you. No they have never tried to fight. They are brother and sister (I think I have a male and female haha) I have had them since they were hatchlings....it will be 4 years in a month. They get along great. I have never seen them bite at the sea creatures. This is their second pool like this though so they may just be used to it. I plan on making a much nicer water hole for them when I figure out what to do exactly.
I would love to have another one. But, I am so worry that they would fight. I hate it when any thing shows dominates. I always feel sorry for the underdog.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They are both very nice and big for only being 4 years old.... Great job raising them thus far...

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
FranklinTturtle said:
tiff3grl said:
I would love to have another one. But, I am so worry that they would fight. I hate it when any thing shows dominates. I always feel sorry for the underdog.

Ya, I have never had to introduce a new tortoise so I'm not the one to give suggestions on that. I have heard it usually works out if you turn in in to a slow process and let them get use to each other at their own pace. Good luck though.....I think they enjoy having a friend.

dalano73 said:
They are both very nice and big for only being 4 years old.... Great job raising them thus far...

Ya, I started getting concerned because they do seem to be growing at such a fast rate. I read weights on other tortoises around the same age and I see many that are a lot smaller. Not sure if it's a good thing or not.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They both look very good so I dont think you should worry. My guy was 24 pounds in April and since I started feeding Mazuri he has jumped up to just over 35 pounds as of a few weeks ago.

You just have two fast growers and they have no visual ill effects from there rate of growth.. I would just keep doing what you have been and don't change a thing...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look really good. They will be big enough to breed pretty soon. What are you going to do then? Are you sure of the sexes? Plastron pics?

My two males grew up together the same way. I thought they were male and female for a long time too, but it turns out they weren't. They got along until around 9-10 years old, then I had to separate them due to fighting. Yours are much bigger than mine were at that age, but I was listening to the "experts". You did a much better job than me.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
They look really good. They will be big enough to breed pretty soon. What are you going to do then? Are you sure of the sexes? Plastron pics?

My two males grew up together the same way. I thought they were male and female for a long time too, but it turns out they weren't. They got along until around 9-10 years old, then I had to separate them due to fighting. Yours are much bigger than mine were at that age, but I was listening to the "experts". You did a much better job than me.

Thank you! To be honest I'm no pro when it comes to sexing a tortoise. I'm not 100% sure. I will take pics and post them and see what you think. It won't be until later since I need help picking them up haha. I don't plan on breeding them due to the fact that I feel there are too many in need of a home as it is. If I do have a male and a female I will have to figure out a plan. I'm happy to hear to that they both look healthy....these are my first tortoises and I didn't really know anyone that owned one to give me advice. I'm happy I found this site.....pics to come soon.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
They look really good (and cute!) :) For a first time owner, I'd say you've done a great job. You have your hands full with two I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.