Worms from walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I was thinking about introducing my little redfoot to earthworms, and I noticed the live bait fridge at Walmart the other day. I know the regiment of gutloaded crickets for a few days before feeding them to any herp, but what about earthworms? Should I be worried about feeding worms from Wallie world as opposed to getting them anywhere else? Obviously, I should wash them first.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have feed them for years with no problems, both the night crawlers and the trout worms. Of course there is no way to control what those worms have been eating, then again with the wild worms outside this also holds true.:p One reason I like feeding earthworms, is I can coat them with calcium or other vitamin supplements. It's helpful with getting in some of these supplements on especially picky eaters like some of my hingebacks have been. :cool:

With that being said, I am currently trying to come up with a good place to try starting my own colonies. That way, I can be sure the worms are only being feed the items I would approve of. With as many worm loving mouths as I have, it will be a fairly big undertaking. :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I give them to my alligator snapper, I do clean all the dirt off.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They make good breeders, but The only thing about the wall mart worms are they look so tiny and emancipated.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
They make good breeders, but The only thing about the wall mart worms are they look so tiny and emancipated.

:rolleyes: Well, here if Florida they are always big and fat. Could the luck of the draw!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
lol emancipated, emaciated I think you mean. Anyway, I can't stand touching earthworms, but I'd "strip" them first. You know, basically squeeze them all the way down like milking a cow, just to get some of the crud out. I read that somewhere about feeding earthworms to reptiles.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mel262011 said:
Can you feed earthworms to red eared sliders?
Yes you can, they love them.

tygoh said:
Can feed earthworms to Leopard or Star.?
No, animal protein is not good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.