Wiring for tortoise/reptile room

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
I just got myself a new house, and with it I finally get to have my own tortoise/reptile room. It is in the basement so it requires supplemental heating and, unfortunately, whoever wired the house put the entire basement on the same circuit. As a result I need to isolate the room by rewiring it and giving it its own breaker. Plenty of room left on the panel for that (both in physical space and available current on a 200 amp service).

My question is which breaker (or breakers) to use, and which gauge wire I should run. The total length of wire in the circuit will probably be under 100', and I'm looking at around 40'-50' from the breaker to the first switch or outlet in the line. I'll need to be able to run at least a 1500 watt space heater plus a couple basking bulbs, CHE's, etc.

My current leaning is for installing a single 30 amp breaker with 10-2, or twin 20 amp breakers with 12-2 running from each and splitting the outlets in the room between them (or 12-3 if my local code allows the sharing of a neutral for such applications).

Anyone have any thoughts or preferences? Or happen to know how your reptile room is wired and love it/hate it as is?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh boy! Oh boy! An electrical question!!

Sorry, can't help you. :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
This is a job for a licenced electrician...not only is it very likely illegal for you to do the job yourself, it's also very dangerous.

It really won't cost all that much, either. :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And according to Mike Holmes (Holmes on Homes, cable show) GET A PERMIT!!!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You can't go wrong with two circuits. 12/2 w ground should be more than sufficient. My room is all on one 20amp. I have oil heater, 3 uvb, 250w metal halide (plants)with no problems.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My entire reptile room is on two seperate 20 amp GFCI circuits, both with switchable timers. 12/2 wire throughout. This set up supplies power to approximately 30 lights (low watt incandscent and flourescent), a humidifier and a small aquarium pump. Because the room is located in my insulated and heated basement there is no need for supplemental heat. The lights being on raise the room temperature to the high 70's-low 80's each day and it never gets below 62 degrees at night. I keep primarily Northern Mediterranean species so your heat requirements may be different based on the species that you're keeping.

Each state, city and town has different codes and permit requirements. Check with your local laws first. Some people may be more comfortable hiring an electrician. I don't have that issue here, I've been a carpenter/plumber/electrician for over 25 years.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Thanks everyone for your concern. I won't be running into any legal problems doing the work myself in my city/county/state. No permits necessary either, since I'm just adding breakers to an existing panel. I also come from a family of electricians and have done 110v and 220v installations a number of times (not for 25 years, I'm not much older than that!), and will be having someone with a license look at everything before I tie into my panel box. Unfortunately, I don't come from a family of reptile folks, so I was hoping for feedback for what works the most conveniently for such a setup. Not many folks thermostatically control outlet boxes or hardwire timing circuits into their overhead lighting!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I want to see pics of your room when you are done :)

mike1011

5 Year Member
Hello, you have to figure out the total amperage you will be using on the circuit to correctly figure out what you need electrically. The 1500watt space heater is going to draw 12.5 amps along. (1500watts divided by 120 volts = 12.5 amps) Add in the additional che and lighting and you are getting close to maxing out the 20 amp circuit. I would run 2 20 amp circuits, one for the space heater and the other for the che and everything else. Better to be on the safe side than risk blowing the circuit after everything is done. And dont forget we all end up with more reptiles than we planned on so leave a little room for expansion on the circuits. I can guide you through the other things if you can explain what exactly your trying to do.(I am an electrician, just dont tell my wife)!

Status
Not open for further replies.