Winter Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

temper13

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a young tortoise few months old living outside. I live in Mesa, Arizona and I am wondering what kind of preperation I need to make for her to survive the winter? I did dig hole and provided a burrow for her which she seems to love since she always inside. But will this be enough for the winter cold?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, Sulcatas don't hibernate, so if your winters get down below, say, 50 degrees, your outside burrow won't be good enough to keep the Sulcata alive and healthy.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
And be real careful of digging a hole for them.. It can collapse and fill up with water when it rains.
Dog houses make great hide for them. Use the intact one or get a Dogloo and seperate the top and bottom and have TWO hides.
You will need a heat source for nighttime and days if too cold. I cover mine with a blanket to help insulate more. Its on a solid surface.
The rubber stall matts work great. YOu can find them at feed stores.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
emysemys said:
Well, Sulcatas don't hibernate, so if your winters get down below, say, 50 degrees, your outside burrow won't be good enough to keep the Sulcata alive and healthy.

Yvonne
your hatchling does not need to be below 70 degrres minimum

bring her inside... make a tortoise table or something.. get a heat lamp(ceramic is real good), and get a full spectrum uvb light.. just dont leave her outside.. hatchlings are very sensitive, she should not be below 70 degrees MINIMUM......IF SHE GETS TO COLD SHE WILL GET SICK AND DIE.. SO KEEP HER WARM... and since they do not hibernate she will not just stay in your hole she will want to wander around so even if it stays warm in there which i doubt she will still get cold when she leaves it..

Status
Not open for further replies.