window lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

angdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sandy utah
i live in utah and it is still in the 40's and 50's so i cant take my sulcatas out side yet.. so i put there enclosure by the window.. do they still get the same uva/uvb rays? also i have a red heat bulb on all the time to keep my temps up is it harmful to them to have it on that long? i also run on the other side of the enclosure a powersun 100w during the day
thanks

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I'm not a sully owner, but I can tell you that the window blocks most of the UV of both types. Even a screen blocks a good chunk of it.

As far as the lights go, that will all depend on your setup, ambient temps, humidity etc.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
From what i have read most of the UV doesn't get through the window. It does help to try and get as much natural light as possible, but i think you DO need a UVB bulb. It's usually better to have more UV than not enough. And for the heat lighting, I'm not too sure about it, but if the bulb is at the right height and the temp is good then it should be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be very careful doing that. In a typical warm house you can quickly get a "greenhouse" effect and cook your tortoises near a window like that. The window glass is filtering out all the usable UV, but they can still bask and get warm in it and the brightness is good too. Just watch those temps. Lots of people use those colored bulbs. Usually for night time, but also for day time occasionally. Personally, I don't like them and never use them. I think they make things look "funny" to the tortoise. I like to use ceramic heating elements instead. They give off a little more heat for the same wattage and they last forever. I've got some that I've been using since the early 90's. You use it just like a light bulb, but it gives off only heat and no light.

angdavis

5 Year Member
sandy utah
thanks so much for the replys i will watch my temps and watch the torts.. and i am saving for a che.. i spent al my money this month on a powersun and mazuri.. so hopefull i can get one soon and hope the temps come up for my little guys to put outside :) thanks again

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I seem to recall that glass blocks like 99 percent of the beneficial UV, though I can't guarantee that number. and screens tend to scatter most of the light greatly reducing the light also.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The window and screen blocks most of the uv, and no do not run a heat and uv both at the same time next to the window
Run the uv 12 hours during the day! and during the night run ur red heat

Status
Not open for further replies.