Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
Marty333 said:
I was wondering why adult hingeback tortoises are so inexpensive at my local pet store they have one for 60 dollars thats less then the hatchling Sulcatas they sell. Is there a reason?

Ten years ago there were several more species of inexpensive wc turtles. They are heavily exploited in africa. Smaller animals go to the pet trade, large animals are consumed.
The pricetag does not always reflect the true value of a species. Sulcatas are an endangered species in the wild. They reproduce readily in captivity and in large numbers.
In the late 90's, cuora/cistoclemmys galbinifrons cost less than $50, and were available in large numbers. Nowdays one is lucky to see one offered for sale, and likely the price will be AT LEAST $1500.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its probably going to die. They're not easy for just anyone to take care of. You would be doing the tortoise a favor by printing out a care sheet and asking the pet store to give it to whoever buys the tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would without a doubt say it's a Homes at that price. At $60, it is way above usual cost for one.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You might be able to Marty - but the average person wouldn't be able to. Hot + dry is what most people think for tortoises, and that is a death sentence for a Home's.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It doesn't give the size, but it may be too small.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Product Height (in.) : 21.5
Product Length (in.) : 42.5 in
Product Width (in.) : 18.6 in
Here is the size. It will only be temporary until it warms up outside. Im going to ask my dad about getting the hingeback. I would hate to see it die :(

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Marty333 said:

morechelonia018.jpg

That is the exact tote that I use to house my tortoises in during the winter months. It is none too large, but works very well for most.
They are housed singly in them.
The photo is of my homeana nesting last month in her tote. She has lived in one during the winter months since 2004.
Best of luck,

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Marty how upsetting will it be to you if this tortoise dies in your care? Not trying to turn you off getting it, but want you to go into it with your eyes wide open. Depending upon her current condition...such as how dehydrated along the way she has gotten, how stressed, if she is still eating, this Hingeback may not even with the best of care make it. They can be challenging and heartbreaking. I know how hurt you were with the sulcata. Are you ready to face having another one die on you? If this one ends up needing vet care, do you have things worked out with your parents to get her to one?

That said, I hope you do get her. Make sure you get the things needed right away for her substrate and you get the humidity up. She will need something for hiding and a water source deep enough for her to spend a lot of time soaking. Getting herself humid and well hydrated as quickly as possible will be the most important things you can do her.

Status
Not open for further replies.