Why are tortoises more active when outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I noticed that my greek is much more active when in his outdoor enclosure compared to when he is indoors. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if they know why?

I have two lights in my large indoor enclosure. So I wouldn't think that it is too dark (although the sun is brighter than my 160W mvh + tube uvb), and when it comes to space his indoor enclosure is larger than his outdoor one.

Attaching pics of indoor and outdoor enclosure.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_0370.JPG
    DSC_0370.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0346.JPG
    DSC_0346.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 79

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I've noticed this as well and I don't know exactly why they are more active outside, but they definitely are. My best guess is that its the natural sunlight. The UV bulbs are great but they just don't replace natural sunlight.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Could be the variety of smells they experience when outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's the novelty of a new area AND light. If you put them outside and leave them there 24/7, you will see the activity level stabilize and basically mirror the indoor levels of activity.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Radiant Heat, plain and simple......The method(s) of keeping these animals inside in regards to heat pales in comparison to keeping them outside. In laymans terms, Reptiles are kept too cool and not given enough heating options inside to be active like they are outside.......Look at the comparisons that have been done with inside heating methods versus the Sun on a Tortoise.......The research has been done, and the results are black and white.......

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Sunlight and stimulation! There are lots of new sights and smells to take in :)

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Thanks for all the great replies everyone :) After being outside several times now Helios seems to have calmed down a bit. Still more active than when inside, but not as hyper as the first time he was outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, in addition to what has already been said, it is because they are afraid and they are trying to get back to the territory they know (indoor habitat). When they settle down after a few days it's because they have come to realize that nothing is going to harm them in this new territory. That, plus they have probably found a safe hiding place in the new territory.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
People say the sun, which plays a roll in it, but weather in general, sunny days, cloudy days, dry days, humid days, rainy days. Also smells, and I believe other living things worms all of it plays a roll

Or

They know they are one step closer to breaking out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.