White spots on his shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

aziz1981

5 Year Member
Hi all

My lovely tortoise :tort: have white spots on his shell . Is it normal or it will be recurring . When I brush the shell using water and a toothbrush it disappeared but comes back again after a minute . Shell fungus ?

20121003174637.jpg

:(

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, aziz1981!

It looks to me as if your tortoise is scuffing his shell on a rough surface. It isn't anything to worry about, but you might want to enlarge his doorways.

aziz1981

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, aziz1981!

It looks to me as if your tortoise is scuffing his shell on a rough surface. It isn't anything to worry about, but you might want to enlarge his doorways.

Thank you for the help emysemys

But the other tortoises have the same problem :(

20121003174749.jpg

Their new home

20121003174926.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its probably the sand. Sand is very abrasive. If you had regular dirt in there it would be better. Then you could keep it moistened and maybe plant some vegetation for them to hide under and maybe eat. Also, since the tortoises tend to walk right next to the wall, they are scuffing their shells on the cement.

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Virginia
Since there are abrasions on the top of their shells I think it is also coming from the rough concrete wall. As they climb over one another and then slide down, similar to your first picture, if they slide head-first between a tort and the wall they will scratch their shell as they hit the wall and then try to get out from between the two.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.