Which type of timer?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello. I currently have T5 HO long tube UV fixtures and floodlights for my enclosures. I would like to put them all on timers. can I use timers with this kind of UV light, and what kind would you suggest?what is the difference between electrical and mechanical?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I don't see why you can't put those a lights on a timer. I use a $5 mechanical timer from Home Depot and it works great. The difference is mechanical is basic. You plug it in and turn a dial to the correct time if day. Then set the on time and off times. The timer slowly ticks around and trips the timers. It's just a very basic timer. Mine works perfectly.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to have them on separate timers to simulate the sun and outdoor UV cycles. The HO bulbs put out some serious UV. As much as real sunshine according to my meters. This being the case they don't need to be on for 12-14 hours a day. There is very little UV present in early morning or late afternoon sun, even in full direct sunlight. This being the case, I've set my HO bulbs on their own separate timer to be on from 11am to about 4pm. I then have my floods come on at 7 for heat and dimmer light, and my regular 6500K florescent tubes come on about an hour later to simulate the sun rising and the day getting brighter. I like this 3 tiered effect. I can't say that it is necessary, or that it matters that much, but it makes me feel like I'm doing the best I can for my captive beasties.

About the types of timers: I used mechanical ones for years and liked them just fine. They have two problems. 1: The mechanical bits eventually wear out and begin making noise before they die. The noise drives my OCD crazy. 2. If the power goes out, they will have the wrong time whenever it comes back on.

Now I prefer the digital ones. No noise ever. They have no moving parts to wear out. They have a battery back up that self charges when the power is on in case the power goes out. Doesn't matter how long the power is out, even days, your timer will hold the correct time and turn your lights on and off at the correct times when ever the power comes back on.

Buy the three pronged heavy duty type for more safety. You can always run multiple lights from a power strip attached to your timer as well.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I like to have them on separate timers to simulate the sun and outdoor UV cycles. The HO bulbs put out some serious UV. As much as real sunshine according to my meters. This being the case they don't need to be on for 12-14 hours a day. There is very little UV present in early morning or late afternoon sun, even in full direct sunlight. This being the case, I've set my HO bulbs on their own separate timer to be on from 11am to about 4pm. I then have my floods come on at 7 for heat and dimmer light, and my regular 6500K florescent tubes come on about an hour later to simulate the sun rising and the day getting brighter. I like this 3 tiered effect. I can't say that it is necessary, or that it matters that much, but it makes me feel like I'm doing the best I can for my captive beasties.

About the types of timers: I used mechanical ones for years and liked them just fine. They have two problems. 1: The mechanical bits eventually wear out and begin making noise before they die. The noise drives my OCD crazy. 2. If the power goes out, they will have the wrong time whenever it comes back on.

Now I prefer the digital ones. No noise ever. They have no moving parts to wear out. They have a battery back up that self charges when the power is on in case the power goes out. Doesn't matter how long the power is out, even days, your timer will hold the correct time and turn your lights on and off at the correct times when ever the power comes back on.

Buy the three pronged heavy duty type for more safety. You can always run multiple lights from a power strip attached to your timer as well.
I saw some more on here that the electrical timers leak in someway? Not sure what they meant by that but they recommended the mechanical ones. I checked my UV index all around the enclosure and it read everywhere from 2.4 down to .2.maybe I wasn't measuring it right but that's the readings I got. The .2 worries me.