When I soaked my tortoise...

MyTortoise

She kept putting her head under the water and rubbing it with her legs/arms. Was she just trying to wash her face?
----------------------------------------
Female 1 year Russian tortoise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks! Now I know it's completely normal :)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Yup! Mine know it's bath time and will wash their heads in the warm water [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE]

Woah emoji epic fail there ^^ lol.

MyTortoise

Thanks, it's just she's never done it before and I'm a bit of a worrying new owner :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of light are you using. Tortoises wipe their eyes with the front legs when they're are experiencing eye irritation.

MyTortoise

Yvonne G said:
What kind of light are you using. Tortoises wipe their eyes with the front legs when they're are experiencing eye irritation.

I soaked her under her basking light to keep the water from getting too cold;
My light - Reflector Lamp 100w (Crompton Lamps)

alxvasqz12

So is it normal or is it the light? I use a powersun 160 watt my tortoise also does this except I don't soak her in the light.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
alxvasqz12 said:
So is it normal or is it the light? I use a powersun 160 watt my tortoise also does this except I don't soak her in the light.

It is normal for tortoises to rub their eyes/face with their forearms in or out of the water. It's not always due to an eye irritation. I see my tortoise do this almost every day and he lives outdoors. The powersun MVB is not one that is known to cause eye problems for tortoises. Eye irritations could be from dry air (low relative humidity) or from contact with the substrate, or just some dust. If your tortoise is rubbing continuously then I would treat it as a problem. Occasional rubbing is pretty much normal.