When can I put him in a outdoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I havent got my baby yet but he is 3in. My question is when would I be able to build an outdoor encolsure. I have read and everyone says upgrade to a outdoor enclosure. Thanks, Matt

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It depends upon your local climate and your tortoise species more than it does the size or age of your tortoise. In the wild they live outdoors. But in captivity they quite often are being kept in a climate that is not the same as what they came from in the wild. This is why it is very important to know what their environmental needs (and limitations) are. Any tortoise species can be kept outdoors just about anywhere in the U.S. But for how long and under what conditions depends completely on the local climate and the species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agreed. However, build an outdoor enclosure now. If your temps are warm, put him out. If they get cold at night, bring him in. If you get cold winters house him inside until next summer.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He is only a baby, 3 inches. I live in NE ohio. It is getting colder and I dont have him yet. I am getting him on the 19th.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You should still be able to get him a few scattered times outside, but your in all reality looking more towards next year for any real time outside.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yeah, I wanted to get him sooner but that isnt how it turned out. I will try to build a pen for him and when it gets warmer I will put him in it. Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I would not put any species of tortoise outdoors in the northern U.S. in late September if I just got it. This is even more critical when the species is not a temperate climate species, which Redfoots are not. While it's not a good idea to put a newly acquired temperate species out so late in the year in the north this is even more true with tropical, subtropical and arid climate species.
In many places this time of year, even when it's sunny, the air is moving more, cooler and the ground is often cold to the touch in all but the sunniest spots. As well as sometime being damp. In addition to that you're better off giving the tortoise several weeks, or longer if need be, to acclimate to it's new surroundings and enclosure, ensuring that it is eating correctly and well hydrated rather than constantly taking it in and outdoors. Tortoises take all that much longer to settle in and acclimate to new surroundings when their is constant change going on around them. Once the tortoise is well acclimated and the northern weather is more consistently warm, like in May or June, the tortoise could then be brought outdoors, maybe even kept outdoors, in a secure, well planned enclosure for the summer. But to do so this time of year, with a newly acquired tortoise is asking for potential health problems in my opinion.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thats what I am going to do. Once it gets around the 80's or so I will put him outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.