What To Give Him Over Winter?

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi it's Ava and Hector(RT),
So I am not hibernating him as he is my first tort and they believed he was not hibernated in the past and suggested against it. He is a rescue by the way.
Anyway, so far I have gotten him enough to eat but we are running low on resources and I have had to start feeding him things he shouldn't have everyday such as carrots and some cucumbers:oops: It would be really helpful to have a list of things that could buy maybe at the supermarket(I know thats not the best food for them) and maybe something I could get at Petco as I have read about those little balls and such that you can give them. So, pretty much I just need some help finding food for the winter.
I also wanted to ask, I always feed Hector in the mooring but I have late ballet class and don get home until 8 or 8:30 and I go to see him and he's usually asleep. I normally don't feed him then because I don't want to wake him but, should I be feeding him always at night and wake him or should I let him be? I don't want him to lose weight or anything. How many times a day is normal for a tortoise to eat? I also give him a couple snacks during the day usually in the afternoon.
Sorry for the long post. The bolded are my main questions.
Thanks,
Ava and Hector:<3::tort::p
ps, it is all dry and cold and sometimes snowy so the dandelions and outdoor resources are extremely low. I have a local home depot that I could check for flowers and weeds and such. Again, thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wake mine up in the morning. No worries there. I feed about 730 & again at 5.
Store food: endive, escrole, romaine - not too often, dandelion greens, kale, spring mix (salad mix) mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens. I buy three kinds every week and alternate the next week. Squash is ok to but not in large parts.

Colorado
I wake mine up in the morning. No worries there. I feed about 730 & again at 5.
Store food: endive, escrole, romaine - not too often, dandelion greens, kale, spring mix (salad mix) mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens. I buy three kinds every week and alternate the next week. Squash is ok to but not in large parts.
Ok Thank you!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I do almost exactly what lismar79 does above. I also buy wheat grass that I add and I grow a grass seed mix and the broad leaf mix from tortoise supply. Twice a week I add grassland grazing tortoise food and three times a week I add Mazuri. Most days I chop up Timothy hay and mix with the greens. Once a week I give cactus, pumpkin or squash. I have 6 Leopards though and 1 is almost 20pounds, so they are a little different. I am not sure RT's eat hay at all. I feed at 6:30 AM and again a little after 4 in the afternoon if it's all gone.