What species is this?

Charlottevics

My parents recently bought this tortoise and I'm not sure as to it's species. I'm a bit worried because since they got him all he's done is sleep. And also, his shell seems bumpy to me, which I read is abnormal due to a poor diet.

ml9Qvce.jpg

FjnRYDW.jpg

He is awake right now and I wanted to feed him, but not sure what since i don't know his species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's either a Hermanns or a Greek. Let's send a shout-out to @HermanniChris . He's very good at I.D.ing these tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and ... you can feed him dark, leafy greens such as endive, escarole, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Are his legs often splayed out like that. If so does he move well. I mean when he walks does he lift his body up off the ground?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

That pyramiding in your cute tort is caused by lack of humidity. Where do you live and what is the weather like back there? I live in Jordan (The Middle East), where the weather is a very dry one: desert climate.:( Therefore I am extremely cautious that OLI (my beloved Greek tort) does not get that pyramiding.

As far as your tort sleeping all the time, well, torts take time and a lot of time to adapt , so don't worry. In the meantime you could read the "Beginners Mistake Thread" and different care sheets.

Good luck!:)

Charlottevics

Are his legs often splayed out like that. If so does he move well. I mean when he walks does he lift his body up off the ground?

He seems to, yes.
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

That pyramiding in your cute tort is caused by lack of humidity. Where do you live and what is the weather like back there? I live in Jordan (The Middle East), where the weather is a very dry one: desert climate.:( Therefore I am extremely cautious that OLI (my beloved Greek tort) does not get that pyramiding.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in England, in the north-midlands, so it's cool here. Average high temp during the summer is between 15-20C. I think he was always kept inside by his previous owners. I'm trying to convince my parents to build him an outdoor enclosure in our garden.

I just fed him a few greens and he seems okay, just tired.

Charlottevics

He's walking around my living room atm. He keeps trying to get to the darkest spots. Why is this? Does he want to sleep?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What sort of enclosure are you keeping him in right now? What are the temperatures and humidity in it?

Have you been soaking him at all? It really helps with their hydration and is very important if he hasn't been eating well.

They can take a while to adjust, but in the mean time we can help you make sure his care is spot on.

Charlottevics

Hi again. He's eating fine but seems to be sleeping a lot. It's 3pm and he hasn't budged yet. Not sure if I should be worried about this. I've been soaking him every 1-2 days, but have been told not to handle him too much until he becomes settled in his new environment.

This is where we're keeping him currently, but it is only temporary while we build an outdoor enclosure for him. Not sure about the temp, still need to buy a thermometer. That "house" thing in the corner is something my dad made for him.

http://i.imgur.com/hWmvW1o.png

Is it safe to let tortoises wander around your house? Because that's what I've been doing. And also, if he sleeps too much is it okay to nudge him awake, or should I let him sleep?