What size enclosure?

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I'm fixing to fence off an outdoor enclosure for 3 adult redfoots, I was wondering what would be a nice generous size for them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Go as big as you can. 100x60', or more. Lots of plants and shade.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
JennBell0725 said:
I'm fixing to fence off an outdoor enclosure for 3 adult redfoots, I was wondering what would be a nice generous size for them?

That makes me feel like crap, my sulcata enclosure is 25'by 25' and there are 2 14 inchers in there...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't feel like crap. Make it bigger! :D My sulcatas are in a 7000 sq. foot enclosure. One leg of it runs 214 feet in a straight line. I still feel like they are too cramped and confined in there and I want to make it bigger.

Its not that a smaller size is going to make them drop dead. Its just that in the wild they wander over large distances sometimes, and its good for them to have lots of areas to explore and roam. Bigger pens are better, but there is no "set" size that they have to be. Just go as big as you can.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Considering the damage all the railroad ties did to my body during the initial setup it may be a while lol. Ill have to find a easier option before we expand.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata has a 50x60 area to roam. Mostly he stays within 25 feet of his house. He will walk the perimeter of the entire enclosure just about every day. Sometimes more than once. Mostly he likes going in and out of the bushes along the perimeter. There he has sunning spots that are partially protected and shady spots to cool down. I think that having lots of bushes/plants along the perimeter for them to use is just as important to them as the size of the enclosure.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Tom, do you really think a 100 foot by 60 foot enclosure is needed for 3 adult redfoots?

abclements

5 Year Member
Tom's not saying that 3 adult redfoots NEED a 100'X50' outdoor enclosure. He's just saying that if you have that available space, why not use it? Redfoots, being a more social tort, don't need as much space as a heard of sulcatas or Russians, but the more space they have, the more natural it'll be for them. If you have 25'X25' space, use that. Don't just shoot for a minimum space output. Use what you can afford to give them.

Don't quote me on this and hopefully JD will come correct me if I'm wrong, but his cove is something like 50'X25' and all of his adults live in that same space and he has some really nice, beautiful, productive torts!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoise5643 said:
Tom, do you really think a 100 foot by 60 foot enclosure is needed for 3 adult redfoots?

Drew's explanation nailed it.

When you say "needed" that implies to me that somehow harm might come to the tortoises if they are not in something that big. With that definition, or guideline, no, they don't "need" 100x60'.

Asked a different way: Do I think that a 100x60' would be a good size for 3 red foots? Yes. Yes I do.